Apps for Windows has been away lately, but it’s back with a focus on making life easy for bloggers :) . Moderator is one of my personal favorites and makes moderating WordPress comments from the comfort of your desktop very easy. It’s an Adobe Air based application and works fine on Windows, OS X and Linux as well. The requirements are very simple; you must have a self-hosted WordPress blog and sufficient rights to install plugins. Here’s the list of features it provides:
- Viewing unmoderated comments.
- Dock and system tray notifications of the number of unmoderated comments.
- Accept, delete, and spam comments from within the desktop client.
- Close application window, or minimize it to the system tray while running.
- Shows the Gravatar icons for the user who posted the comment.
You just have to go to the Moderator website, download the plugin and install it to your WordPress blog. Once you’re done, navigate to Moderator entry in the Settings side panel in the WordPress Dashboard. From there, you’ll be able to download the plugin. After you’ve installed it, you need to enter your blog URL, user name and password and you’re good to go. In the settings, you can change the refresh interval as well as show or hide Gravatars.
When new comments arrive, you can approve them, delete them or mark them as spam from within the app. It’s that simple.
Hope you liked this edition of Apps for Windows.
Enjoy ! :)