Before you begin, note the following:
- iOS 11 is not stable enough to be used as a daily driver on iPhone or iPad yet. It has performance issues and crashes often.
- While most people don’t even use iTunes nowadays, it is recommend to use it to create a complete back up that can be restored, just in case.
- Fully charge your iPhone or iPad.
- You can try waiting for the public beta which is easy to sign up and should be more stable than the developer preview.
Install iOS 11 beta 6
- To install iOS 11 beta, you would need an Apple Developer Account. If you do not have one, you could ask a friend who has one or do a quick search to find the configuration file on Reddit.
- Once you have the link to the configuration profile, open it in Safari on your iPhone or iPad. It will ask for your installation permission. Tap install and enter your PIN code. You will have to restart your iPhone to complete the profile installation.
- iOS Beta Software Profile should now show under Settings > General > Profiles
- Once done, open up Settings > General > Software Update on your iPhone and iPad and wait for the beta update to show up. You should be able to download and install it to your iOS device now.
iOS 11 beta 6 changes
- iOS 11 beta 6 has much improved performance so far, compared to any of the previous betas.
- A number of new icons are also present for apps like App Store, Apple Maps, Clock and Weather.
- App Store icon in Messages app and Settings has also been updated.
- Unlock animation is similar to iOS 10’s animation (icons fly in) and much faster than before.
- 3D Touch finally works better than before. Still not upto iOS 10 level smoothness yet.
- ‘Fish’ Live wallpapers are not there anymore.
- ‘Auto-Brightness’ option has been moved from ‘Display & Brightness to General > Accessibility > Display Accommodations.
iOS 11 has several new iPad only features like multitasking improvements, drag and drop and a new Dock. Apple Pencil users will get to use features like instant markup, notes and drawing on iPad Pro, which will bring it up to par with other devices like Microsoft’s Surface. Common iOS features for iPhone and iPad include a new Files app for file organization, AR support through a new API called ARKit, Apple Pay updates for person to person cash sharing and new codecs for photos and videos which provide better quality and compression (HEVC and HEIF). Built-in apps like Camera, Photos, Notes, Siri, Maps, Apple Music and News also get improvements in iOS 11. Design improvements for iOS 11 include new animations, design tweaks, updated notifications and lock screen. New developer APIs include Metal 2, ARKit, NFC tag reading, CoreML for machine learning, SiriKit updates, Depth API, Files API, AirPlay 2 and more.
Stay tuned for our ongoing coverage of iOS 11, watchOS 4 and macOS High Sierra. You can also learn how to install the developer previews of watchOS 4 on your Apple Watch or macOS High Sierra on your Mac using our helpful guides.