blackra1n RC3 will be released today for the iPhone 3G and 3GS today and brings hacktivation as a new feature ( check out the change log here) . This is great news for those who had upgraded to 05.11.07 baseband and were waiting for a way to unlock their iPhones! For those who still haven’t jailbroken their iPhone 3G/3GS with OS 3.1.2, here’s a quick guide on how to do that with blackra1n RC3.
- Download iTunes 9 from Apple’s website.
- Upgrade to OS 3.1.2 via iTunes.
- Once your iPhone has upgraded to 3.1.2, download blackra1n. Use Windows XP compatibility mode if you’re using Windows Vista or Windows 7 ( if it crashes ).
- Launch the tool, and click the ‘make it ra1n’ button.
- It’ll take some time while your iPhone is jailbroken. After it’s done, it’ll restart.
- You should see the blackra1n icon on your homescreen now. Open it.
- From here, you can install Cydia, which lets you install jailbreak applications. There is an option to install Rock as well, which is a Cydia alternative.
- Congratulations, you have your iPhone OS 3.1.2 jailbreak up and running.
- Follow the guide here, if you wish to unlock your iPhone 3G/3GS with blackra1n RC3.
- This guide also applies for jailbreaking iPod Touch. Check this post to see if the jailbreak is tethered or untethered for your iPod Touch model.
If you any problems/issues, let us know in the comments!
For fixing problems and issues, check out our troubleshooting guide:
Fixing issues with iPod Touch and iPhone 3G/3GS OS 3.1.2 jailbreak with blackra1n RC3
Important Note: The new Spirit jailbreak tool has been released which provides an untethered jailbreak. This means that you don’t have to re-jailbreak your iPod Touch 3G or iPhone 3GS after every reboot. Please use this guide to jailbreak all iPod Touch models with OS 3.1.2/3.1.3 untethered using Spirit Jailbreak! and use this one to jailbreak iPhone 3G/3GS with OS 3.1.3/3.1.2 untethered!
Update: iPhone OS 3.1.3 has been released for the iPhone and iPod Touch. We’ve got a new guide up on how to jailbreak iPhone 3.1.3 and iPod Touch 3.1.3 with redsn0w 0.9.4. Don’t upgrade to iPhone OS 3.1.3 if you’re using an unlocked iPhone 3G/3Gs or a jailbroken iPod Touch 2G (MC Model)/3G. The redsn0w guide is for iPhone 2G/3G jailbreak and iPod Touch 1G/2G ( non MC Models) only.