Steve Jobs had announced at WWDC10 that iBooks will be hitting iPhone and iPod Touch when iOS 4 is released. So with the release of iOS 4 today, the update, v1.1 is also available for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad. For iPad it just has the new updates which include PDF integration, new ways of bookmarking as well as the awesome syncing feature which keeps your bookmarks synced across all your iDevices.
iBooks is an amazing way to download and read books, designed exclusively for iPad. iBooks includes the iBookstore, where you can download the latest best-selling books or your favorite classics – day or night. Browse your library on a beautiful bookshelf, tap a book to open it, flip through pages with a swipe or a tap, and bookmark your favorite passages.
• Enjoy a complimentary copy of the beautifully illustrated classic, Winnie-the-Pooh by A. A. Milne.
• Download many of your favorite books from the included iBookstore.
• Read a free sample of any book on the iBookstore before making it part of your collection.
• Reorder your books on your bookshelf or browse them in a list sorted by title, author, or category.
• Easily adjust your screen brightness to find the perfect lighting for any environment.
• Change the font size and pick from five included type faces to make your books more comfortable to read.
• Find a word, character, or phrase anywhere in your book with the built-in search feature.
• Quickly find a specific page using the page navigator at the bottom of every page.
• Highlight your favorite passages with the built-in bookmarking feature.
• Add books in the industry-standard ePub electronic book format to iTunes and sync them to iPad.
• iBooks supports amazing accessibility features in iPad, such as speaking the words on a given page.
• You must own an iPad to use iBooks.
• The iBookstore is only available to customers in the United States.
• An iTunes Store account is required to download from the iBookstore.
• iBooks only supports books published in the ePub electronic book format.
• To add ePub documents from outside the iBookstore to iBooks, they must be DRM-free and synced to iPad using iTunes 9.1 or later.
What’s New in Version 1.1
• In addition to iPad, iBooks is now available on any iPhone or iPod with iOS 4.
• Open and read PDF documents from Mail. PDF documents will be added to your library and appear on the PDF bookshelf. You can even search PDFs for words or phrases and bookmark your favorite pages.
• Take advantage of new ways to bookmark. In addition to highlighting a word or a passage, you can now also add notes or bookmark an entire page with the new page ribbon.
• Keep your bookmarks, notes, and your current page wirelessly in sync between iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch with the new automatic bookmark syncing feature.
• See your book pages in a new font, called Georgia.
• Read your books on white or sepia colored pages.
• Choose left or fully justified text layout from Settings.
• Read pages with greater ease by increasing to even larger font sizes.
• Enjoy greater stability and better performance.
You’ll need iOS 4 on your iPhone or iPod Touch to install iBooks.