Folks at FSM.com have published a guide to jailbreak Apple TV 2G on iOS 4.2.1 using an unofficial pwnage bundle. The jailbreak is however a tethered one and they have custom built the iOS 4.2 bundle for Apple TV 2G. Thats why, it is recommended that you wait for an official iPhone DevTeam release to jailbreak your Apple TV on iOS 4.2.1. In case you’d like to take a bold step and try it out, follow the easy step by step guide given below:
NOTE: if you don’t like to mess with your AppleTV – and even if you do – we don’t recommend you to use this bundle. We are not aware all ALL its bugs, so anything could go wrong at any time.
HOW TO Create A Custom Firmware:
1. Download iOS 4.2 custom bundle and PwnageTool 4.1.2 to your desktop and extract archives
2. Right click on PwnageTool.app and ‘Show Package Contents’
3. Browse to Contents > Resources > Firmware Bundles and copy the iOS 4.2.1 bundle you downloaded
4. Now close the window, load PwnageTool and create your custom firmware ( MAKE SURE you install OpenSSH in the process )
5. Once you have the custom firmware , load iTunes and click alt+restore ( hold the alt/option key and click on restore )
6. Browse for the custom firmware, select it, and wait for your AppleTV to be restored
7. That’s it. Now you have a jailbroken AppleTV running on iOS 4.2.1 – except your AppleTV won’t boot in the jailbreaking kernel and now the fun begins…
HOW TO Boot Into The Jailbreaking Kernel:
1. Download and install MacPorts
2. Install libUSB. Open terminal and type:
sudo port install libusb
3. Duplicate your custom firmware and create a folder on your desktop called ‘Tethereboot’ ( or whatever you want to call it – doesn’t matter )
4. Download the ‘Thetherboot utility’ and put it in the Tethereboot folder
5. Take the duplicate custom firmware, change the extension from .ipsw to .zip and unarchive
6. Inside there’s two files that you need:
Take them out and put them in the Tetherboot folder along side the tethereboot utility you just downloaded
7. Open Terminal , put your AppleTV in DFU mode and type:
./tetheredboot iBSS.n90ap.RELEASE.dfu kernelcache.release.n90
8. Ok, that’s it. Your AppleTV will boot into the jailbreaking kernel.
9. Now you will have to SSH in and add Cydia by following these steps.
10. Download this Cydia deb file.
11. Using a SFPT client ( Cyberduck on Mac, WinSCP on Windows – or any other client ), SSH into your iOS device and upload the deb file in:
12. Now install the deb file using Terminal on Mac ( or Putty/Terminal on WinSCP ) by typing in:
dpkg -i cydia_1.0.3366-1_iphoneos-arm.deb
13. After you installed it, just reboot your device, and that’s it.