iOS 4 was released today for iPhone and iPod Touch for free. While most people have upgraded easily, some of us have been waiting for a jailbreak. Here’s a simple guide on how to jailbreak your iPod Touch and get features like multitasking and home screen backgrounds that Apple has weirdly disabled for 2G. Make sure you follow the guide correctly and make a backup using iTunes.
Jailbreak iOS 4
- Download iOS 4 for your iPod Touch
- Download redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4 [links at the end]. It’s available for both Mac and Windows.
- Download and install iTunes 9.2
- Connect your iPod Touch to your computer and using iTunes, upgrade to iOS 4. Do this the official way as described here.
- Now that you have iOS 4 final build on your iPod Touch, you’ll have to jailbreak it by using the iOS 4 GM build with redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta 5. Click browse and point it to iOS 4 firmware and follow the instructions on the screen. Remember to enable battery percentage, wallpapers and multitasking. [Vista users might need to run redsn0w as administrator]
- One you’re done, your iPod Touch should reboot. Remember to add this repo to Cydia https://apt.saurik.com/cydia-3.7. Enjoy your newly jailbroken iPod Touch with iOS 4! Check out our quick start guide on the new features.
Download redsn0w 0.9.5b5-4
- Mac OSX (x86)
If you face any issues, don’t hesitate to ask us in the comments. We’ll be glad to help!
UPDATE: the guide has been updated to reflect the recent release of redsn0w 0.9.5 beta 5-4 which fixes the iBooks issue that users were reporting.
UPDATE: limera1n has been released which jailbreaks all 3rd and 4th generation iOS devices on iOS 4.0/4.1 and beyond. Follow our guides here: