Apple is all set up to launch iOS 4.2 for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch most likely in a couple of days according to various authentic sources. There are also rumors of an iTunes update i.e v10.1 dropping later today which should support the new features such as AirPlay and AirPrint. Meanwhile, the iPhone Dev has given a heads up to stay put from the new update and wait for the word ‘go’ before attempting any update.
A few minutes ago, the following was posted on the official twitter account of iPhone Dev:
@iPhone_Dev: iOS 4.2 is imminent. All jailbreaks and unlockers please read update #2 at http://is.gd/gyRLL (ask questions in comments)
Here is the update as written on the Dev Team’s official blog:
- By all accounts, we’re within a few days of Apple’s official public release of Firmware 4.2. Here’s what you need to know:
- Thanks to geohot’s limera1n exploit, and our original pwnage2 exploit, and @pod2g’s ipod2g-MC exploit, absolutely all devices at all iOS firmware versions are capable of being jailbroken.
- The untethered jailbreak of those very latest FWs and latest devices depends on @comex hacks. His hacks so far extend only to 4.1 and 4.2beta3. He’s working on a way to extend it to 4.2 and beyond. Just wait for him to work out his method.
- iPhone 3G and 3GS unlockers will be covered by our upcoming unlock. Stay away from any updates to Apple FW until our official release and you’ll be okay. Just stay away from all Apple IPSWs :)
- iPhone4 unlockers are not left out in the cold. @sherif_hashim has found some very promising avenues to pursue. Those will be explored as soon as possible after all the 4.2 madness.
What does this mean to you?
- If you’re an unlocker, just stay where you are. Please, just stay where you are. Any mistakes you make now may be permanent.
- If you only care about the jailbreak and you’re absolutely sure you have your personalized 4.1 SHSH hashes, feel free to experiment but keep in mind that any mistakes you make may result in your losing pictures or notes or bookmarks that you’d rather keep. Honestly unless you love living on the bleeding edge, it’s better to just wait for official updates from Cydia/redsn0w/PwnageTool.
- Don’t buy or donate to any unlock or jailbreak scammers. Every legitimate solution you will find for unlocks or jailbreaks will be offered without an extended hand. That’s how this community works. It’s about freedom, not donations.
Also make sure you save your SHSH blobs for iOS 4.1 using TinyUmbrella which you can get here. Stay tuned as we’ll bring you more as soon as iOS 4.2 update is released and we have more info on it from the jailbreak community