It seems the patience of Skyfire developers has run out as they have just released the first ever officially approved app from Apple which allows playing flash videos on the web. It is now available for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad on the App Store for $2.99. Skyfire is the first app of its kind capable of playing Flash video while adhering to all Apple’s guidelines regarding HTML5 open-video standards on its iOS based devices.
“Skyfire’s award-winning technology already enables Flash videos for millions of mobile users and is finally available on the iPhone. Our cloud computing platform translates videos from Flash into an iPhone-friendly format. It’s a bit of engineering magic. Over 100,000 web sites supported, with more added every day.”
• Play millions of Flash videos – everyday, with no limits!
• All-new ‘Skybar’ toolbar gives one-click access to video and related content
• Be social: Share via Facebook and Twitter.
• Stay in touch: Unique Facebook ‘Quickview’ allows you to see your wall and feeds with one click.
• Standard browser elements: Tabs, search, sharing, bookmarks, history, etc.
• Video search, with safe search option helps you quickly find videos about your favorite topic
• ‘Desktop’ option loads pages as on a desktop browser, giving a greater selection of video (vs. mobile sites)
• Private Browsing option: Browse with no history and cookies left behind
• Click the ‘Explore’ button for related videos, news trends, photos and tweets!
• Flash VIDEO content is supported, but Flash Games and Apps are NOT supported (aren’t there enough games on iPhone already?)
• Hulu NOT supported (they don’t allow it), but scores of other premium sites available
• List of supported sites grows daily (request new sites via Settings >> Feedback menu)
• It may take 15-25 seconds for videos to load: Preparing goodness takes time…