Microsoft has been leaking like a faulty faucet recently. There have been news of Xbox 720, Kinect 2.0, Kinect Glasses and tons of speculation on what Microsoft might announce today at their mysterious event in LA. Here’s another new bit of news that has leaked concerning a 7 inch tablet titled XBOX Surface. If the specifications are to be believed, this might be a killer gaming tablet and one that might bring the Xbox brand in people’s hands.
As reported by Shifted2U, The main points of the tablet are that it might have a:
- 7 inch multi-touch LED display, a resolution of 1280×720 (which amounts to around 210 pixels per inch which is good enough in our opinion – iPad has 264 PPI though )
- 7 hours of battery life
- USB/SD card slots
- 3.1Ghz CPU
- 5GB RAM
- 1.2GB memory in the DirectX 11 capable GPU
- A 250GB HDD (NOT an SSD) [We hope this is wrong!]
- Wireless game controllers support
- Video outport of up to 1440p
The CPU would be supplied by IBM while the GPU would be a custom made 28nm chip created by AMD. There’s no mention of any software what so ever and despite all the goodies listed above, the specifications are listed as partial. Microsoft might as well shoehorn a Kinect camera in this. A tablet has to have a camera, right?
LiveSide has also obtained a similar document, albeit a bit older, which matches the specifications of the XBOX Surface. Weirdly though, those specifications also mention BluRay support in a tablet which is simply weird if you ask us. That document also mentioned Texus Instruments for a custom processor for Kinect workloads.