Apple’s latest flagship iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max, offer an incredible 48MP camera system as well as a bunch of new features and capabilities. Here is a list of every new camera-related feature that Apple has added to its Pro lineup.
iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max camera capabilities and specs
Apple has added a 48MP camera system to its Pro models – a first for the company. The new 48MP Main camera features a quad-pixel sensor that adapts to the photo being captured and features second-generation sensor-shift optical image stabilization.
Apple says for most photos, “the quad-pixel sensor combines every four pixels into one large quad pixel equivalent to 2.44 µm, resulting in amazing low-light capture and keeping photo size at a practical 12MP. ”
The new camera system and quad-pixel sensor also enable the 12MP 2x Telephoto option to capture full-resolution photos and 4K videos with no digital zoom. In addition, the sensor also optimizes details in ProRAW images and offers stunning results for features like Portrait mode.
Speaking of ProRAW, the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max can shoot ProRAW at 48MP, making it the perfect device for creative individuals. These ProRAW images take up to three times more space than 12MP shots since they are captured in 48MP. By some estimates, the images will b 75MB-80MB in size.
In addition to the rear camera, Apple is also adding a new front TrueDepth camera to the iPhone which offers better low-light performance for photos and video. It also features autofocus, allowing it to focus faster in low light and capture group shots from farther away.
Here are the complete specs for the new camera system:
- Main: ƒ/1.78 aperture
- Ultra Wide: ƒ/2.2 aperture
- Telephoto: ƒ/2.8 aperture
- Front camera: ƒ/1.9 aperture
Additional pro camera system functionalities
With the combination of rebuilding the camera system from the ground up and the new A16 Bionic chip, the Pro iPhones can do some wonderful things.
Here is the list of all the camera-related improvements coming to the iPhone 14 Pro and Pro Max:
- A new 12MP Ultra Wide camera with 1.4 µm pixels. Helps to deliver sharper images with more detail, improving already powerful macro photography capabilities.
- An improved Telephoto camera that offers 3x optical zoom.
- A new Adaptive True Tone flash that has been completely redesigned with an array of nine LEDs. These LEDs change patterns based on the chosen focal length.
- Powerful computational photography benefits like Night mode, Smart HDR 4, Portrait mode with Portrait Lighting, Night mode Portrait photos, Photographic Styles to personalize the look of every photo, and Apple ProRAW.
- A new Action mode for smooth videos that adjust to significant shakes, motion, and vibrations, even when the video is being captured in the middle of the action.Ideal for capturing sports.
- Cinematic mode is now available in 4K at 30 fps and 4K at 24 fps.
- Pro-level workflows for video including ProRes3 and end-to-end Dolby Vision HDR.