Apple has released macOS Catalina 10.5.6 update with new features and bug fixes. Most importantly, the latest update resolves USB 2.0 connectivity issues on 2020 MacBook Pro and MacBook Air models. The problem was highlighted by Reddit users who discovered a faulty bug which caused problems in connecting USB 2.0 accessories with their machines.
After updating their Macs to the latest OS version, users have confirmed now they no longer experience issues like frozen apps, complete system failure, and connection loss when connecting USB 2.0.
The release note reads:
macOS Catalina 10.15.6 introduces local news in your Today feed in Apple News and improves the security and reliability of your Mac.
- Local news in your Today feed provides extensive coverage of San Francisco, the Bay Area, Los Angeles, Houston, and New York City
- More stories available from local news providers with a subscription to Apple News+
- Your daily newsletter from Apple News can now be personalized with stories that reflect your interests
This update also includes bug fixes and other improvements.
- Adds a new option to optimize video streaming on HDR-compatible Mac notebooks for improved battery life
- Fixes an issue where the computer name may change after installing a software update
- Resolves an issue where certain USB mouse and trackpads may lose connection
Some features may not be available for all regions, or on all Apple devices.
Apple News on macOS Catalina
With this 10.15.6 update, Apple has also added local news to Apple News app on Mac, along with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. The feature is designed to deliver a more personalized news experience to users with coverage of local weather, sports, politics, and more content by renowned publishers.
It is Apple’s latest software update running on Intel Core processors before the big transition of the future Mac line-up to Apple Silicon running on the new macOS Big Sur. The company will finally achieve a unified architecture with launch of Apple Silicon Macs.