Microsoft is currently beta testing multi-window support on iPad for Word and PowerPoint apps on iPadOS 13.
Using multiple windows of the same app was one of the most useful features announced with iPadOS 13 last year. Since then, many developers added support for this feature in their apps.
Sammy Chiu for the Office team explained the new feature in a blog:
Take advantage of the larger screen on your iPad with the new multi-window support in Word and PowerPoint. Open and work on two documents or presentations side-by-side.
How to use multi-window support in Microsoft Word and Excel in iPadOS
In a blog posted by Microsoft, the following methods have been shared for accessing multi-window feature in Word and Excel:
- Either select the file you want to open from the file list or drag it from the destination folder.
- Drag it to the edge of your iPad’s screen to open it side-by-side with your running file.
- In Word or PowerPoint, swipe up from the bottom of the screen and open the dock.
- Touch and hold the icon of the same app and then drag it off the dock to the left or right edge.
- Tap the document to open it.
- Access the Recent, Shared, and Open from start screen on Word or PowerPoint.
- Tap the “…” menu to access a file in the list.
- Tap Open in New Window to access it side by side.
When will Microsoft Office’ multi-window feature become available on iPad?
Microsoft has not yet revealed its plans to make iPad multi-window support available to all users. For now, users can join the beta program through the following TestFlight links:
- Microsoft Word: Microsoft Word public beta TestFlight
- Microsoft PowerPoint: Microsoft PowerPoint public beta TestFlight
Each build is available for testing for up to 90 days after the developer releases it. Users can see how many days they have left for testing under the app name in TestFlight. The program will notify users each time a new build is available for testing.
The feature requires iPadOS 13 and works with all iPad models which support the operating system. Microsoft has not announced support for multi-windows for Excel on iPadOS yet.