Proton Drive has debuted on iOS and Android to offer a privacy-centric internet in an increasingly mobile-first world.
Proton Drive is a cloud storage service that allows users to store their personal photos, videos, and other important files in a private and secure way. The new mobiles are launched two months after the launch of its web app.
New cloud storage service debuts on iOS and Android, Proton Drive
- Data sync automatically across Proton mobile and web apps, so users can access files and folders from anywhere and at any time.
- Offers offline access to files and folders in a safe and secure way.
“If you activate offline access for a file or folder, they’ll be encrypted and saved on your device so that they can only be accessed through the Proton Drive app. This gives you constant access to your files without compromising their security. “
- Safely and securely share files even with recipients who do not have a Proton account with password protection, and link expiration dates as added layers of security.
- All data is protected by end-to-end encryption. The service also encrypts the contents’ metadata like file names, size, thumbnails, extensions, and more for stronger protection.
“Your files are encrypted on your mobile device using encryption keys you control, and best of all, this encryption happens automatically without requiring any action from you. This means Proton never has access to the unencrypted content of your files.”
- On iOS, users can require a PIN to open the app. This is useful for incidents of theft.
Currently, cloud storage services from tech giants dominate the mobile internet market like Apple iCloud, Dropbox, and Microsoft OneDrive. The debut of an alternate service is likely to increase competition which Proton hopes for.
We developed Proton Drive to be the most private and secure cloud storage service available today. These mobile apps bring us one step closer to being a fully-fledged, secure cloud storage alternative to Big Tech.
In short, your data tells the story of your life — what you do, who you know, and what you believe. This story should be yours to tell, and only yours to tell.
By using Proton Drive, you take control of your digital story. The data you store on Proton Drive is data no longer under the control of Big Tech or subject to government mass surveillance.
As per the announcement, Proton is working on cross-platform support and the cloud storage service’s apps for macOS and Windows will launch as soon as possible in 2023.
Proton Drive is available on the App Store and Play Store with Drive Plus subscription plan for $59.99 and Proton Unlimited plan for $149.99. It is compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch and requires iOS 15.0 or later.