The new addition to Apple’s smartwatch lineup, the Apple Watch Ultra comes in a 49mm titanium casing, the biggest by the company yet. Owners of older Apple Watch models who are looking to upgrade to the bigger and more rugged model can use the watch bands for 44mm and 45mm models with the 49mm Apple Watch Ultra.
This includes watch bands for the following models:
- Apple Watch Series 7 – 45mm
- Apple Watch Series 6 – 44mm
- Apple Watch Series 5 – 44mm
- Apple Watch Series 4 – 44mm
- Apple Watch SE (first generation) – 44mm
Apple also launched three new bands exclusively designed for the new extreme sports watch model. More good news for owners of 45mm and 44mm Apple Watch models is that the new watch bands are also compatible with their smartwatches.
- Trail Loop is a lightweight woven band for the endurance athletes and runners require.
- Alpine Loop band is designed with two integrated layers and a titanium G-hook fastener.
- Ocean Band consists of a spring-loaded loop and titanium buckle for a secure fit specially designed for extreme water sports and recreational diving.
Apple Watch Ultra is not compatible with watch bands for 42mm or smaller cases
When purchasing a band for the new Apple Watch Ultra, the company mentions that the 49mm model is compatible with bands for the older larger models.
The Trail Loop, Alpine Loop, and Ocean Band are designed for Apple Watch Ultra and pair best with the 49mm case size. The bands are also compatible with 44mm and 45mm cases.
This message means that the new bands are not compatible with 42mm and smaller cases.
And when the customer purchases an older watch band, Apple displays the message that it is compatible with 49mm models, along with 42mm and 44mm sizes.
You can match most bands with any Apple Watch Series 3 or newer case of the same size.
The 41mm bands work with 38mm and 40mm cases; the 45mm bands work with 42mm, 44mm and 49mm cases.
The new Apple Watch Ultra is open for pre-order on Apple.com with September 23 availability, along with Apple Watch Series 8 and iPhone 14.