In the Q1, 2023 earnings report, Apple announced that its install base is now over 2 billion active devices, double from install base seven years ago. Celebrating this “incredible milestone”, company’s senior executives accredit it to customer loyalty and satisfaction and switchers or new users.
Apple CEO Tim Cook said:
Today, we are very excited to announce that we’ve achieved a truly incredible milestone. Thanks to our deep commitment to innovation, incredible customer loyalty and satisfaction, and a large number of switchers, we now have more than 2 billion active devices as part of our growing installed base, double what it was just seven years ago.
This is an incredible testament to our products and services and the strength of our ecosystem.
Apple install base of active devices grew by double digits across product category
For the first quarter of 2023 which ended on December 31, 2022, Apple reported a 5% y-o-y decline with $117.2 billion in revenue due to macroeconomic, foreign exchange and supply constraints headwinds. Inspite of a slump in revenue, the company reported double digits growth in install base of active devices with over 2 billion active devices.
The company’s CFO Luca Maestri detailed that the growth in in the install base helped to set an all-time revenue record across major product category and geographic segment. He said:
- Services: The installed base growth helped services set an all-time revenue record of $20.8 billion, up 6% a year ago, in the Americas, Europe, and rest of Asia Pacific and a December quarter record in Greater China.
- iPhone: The installed base of active iPhones continues to grow nicely and is at an all-time high across all geographic segments. In emerging markets, in particular, the installed base grew double digits.
- Mac: The installed base of active Macs reached an all-time high across all geographic segments, and we continue to see very strong upgraded activity to Apple silicon.
- iPad: The iPad installed base reached a new all-time high, thanks to incredible customer loyalty and a high number of new customers. In fact, over half of the customers who purchased iPads during the quarter were new to the product.
- Wearables, Home and Accessories: Our installed base of devices in the category set a new all-time record, thanks to the largest number of customers new to a smartwatch that we ever had in a given quarter. In fact, nearly two-thirds of customers purchasing an Apple Watch during the quarter were new to the product.