Apple now shows the repairability index for iPhone and Mac on its Apple Store app and online stores in France. As reported by MagGeneration, the information of devices repairability score is made mandatory under the country’s law to fight against electronic waste and promote the circular economy. The ministry of Transition and ecological states that the score will tell consumers “whether their product is repairable, difficult to repair or not repairable ” when deciding to purchase a device.
In November 2020, the European Parliament has passed a historical resolution for the Right to Repair for consumers with a large majority. Starting from January 2021, by law manufacturers has to mention the duration period and repairability index of their product. France has different consumer laws which even company’s like Apple have to comply with. Under its radiation law, the Cupertino tech giant ships iPhone 12 models with Earpods and power brick, unlike most other countries.
In France, Apple publishes iPhone and Mac repairability scores
The reported repairability scores of various iPhone models are:
- iPhone 12 (mini, 12, 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max) – score of 6
- iPhone 11 and 11 Pro – score of 4.6
- iPhone 11 Pro Max and iPhone XR – score of 4.5
- iPhone XS Max and XS – score of 4.6 and 4.7 respectively
- iPhone SE 2 – score of 6.2
- iPhone 8/8 Plus and iPhone 7 Plus – score of 6.6
- iPhone 7 – score of 6.7
Apple also lists the Macs affected by this repairability index, in this case only laptops:
- 16-inch MacBook Pro – score of 6.3
- MacBook Air M1 – score of 6.5
- 13-inch MacBook Pro M1 – score of 5.6.
Other models are also listed on the support sheet.
The listed scores are based on five points criteria which included hardware, software, and other metrics.
- the availability of documentation (for repair, use, and maintenance as well as the period during which this information is made available);
- disassembly (how easily it is done, how easy it is to get to parts, what tools are required, how the parts are secured in the device);
- spare parts (period of availability and delivery times);
- the price of spare parts (compared to new);
- the available software updates, the offer of remote technical assistance free of charge, and the possibility of resetting your device in a software way.
However, the repairability index of Apple’s devices is not listed in the official list which includes scores of Xiaomi, Samsung, and OnePlus devices.