After reports of numerous bugs and issues, Apple has removed the Home app architecture upgrade feature from iOS 16.2, iPadOS 16.2, and macOS Ventura 13.1 updates. As per Apple, this upgrade brings improved performance and reliability to HomeKit accessories, however, the reality has been anything but.
Those who had been unfortunate enough to update their Home app to the new architecture have been reporting issues with devices not responding, entirely missing from the app, sharing not working, and more.
Home app upgrade in iOS 16.2
Alongside Matter support, the new Home app in iOS 16 received visual upgrades that make it easier to manage multiple rooms in a home, with multiple devices. The interface features different categories and highlights important information such as climate, lights, security, footage from cameras, scenes to prepare the house for when you arrive or wake up, and more. The updated Home app was made available for iPhone, iPad, and Mac.
Apple also included an optional Home upgrade feature which is listed as an underlying architecture change that improves the performance and reliability of accessories. However, users have reported tons of issues, specially those with multiple devices and complex setups.
Apple has not shared whether it has ceased the upgrades due to the reported issues, but if we had to guess, that would be the primary reason. It is unclear as to when Apple will reintroduce the upgrade, and what it means for users who have already upgraded their Home app.
- Apple stops signing iOS 16.1.2, downgrade from iOS 16.2 impossible
- Apple launches Freeform, a collaborative brainstorming app, with iOS 16.2
- Download iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2 IPSW firmware files
- Apple globally expands 10-minute limit for AirDrop ‘Everyone’ option with iOS 16.2
- iOS 16.2 beta 4 tweaks how older notifications are displayed in Notification Center
- iOS 16.2 beta 3 improves the laggy and stuttering animations issue on iPhone 13 Pro and 14 Pro
- iOS 16.2 beta 3 adds more options for Always-On display on iPhone 14 Pro
- iOS 16.2 beta 2 updates Stocks app with new watchlists
- iOS 16.2 public beta will enable 5G connectivity for compatible iPhones in India
- iOS 16.2 beta 2 shrinks Dynamic Island to display signal and WiFi bars when playing music
- iOS 16.2 beta brings a new ‘vehicle’ icon for car Bluetooth stereo
- iOS 16.2 beta 2 adds new Medications widget for Lock Screen
- iOS 16.2 beta integrates Weather app with Apple News to show regional weather-related stories