Here is how you can easily download and install watchOS 8 on your Apple Watch without any issues. watchOS 8 was released today with support for a new Portrait watch face, new workout types, Fitness+ updates, a mindfulness app, contacts app, Find My Items app, updated Apple Music app, and more.
Before you begin, it is important to note that you cannot downgrade Apple Watch to watchOS 7 after upgrading to watchOS 8. In a scenario where you do not somehow like the new watchOS 8 update or feel that it impacts the performance or battery life of your old Apple Watch, there is no going back. If you feel that there is such an issue, the first step would be to check the battery health of your Apple Watch as the performance can go down with its health.
Install watchOS 8 on Apple Watch
- watchOS 8 can only be installed on Apple Watch Series 3 or later.
- Make sure that your Apple Watch has at least 50% battery charge and is placed on the charger. Don’t remove it from the charger throughout this process.
- Make sure that your iPhone has more than 50% battery charge and is connected to a stable Wi-Fi network.
- Open up the Watch app on your paired iPhone (the one you used to set up your Apple Watch) and navigate to General > Software Update. watchOS 8 will show up, ready to download and install. Tap on the download button and wait for the update process to complete.
If you are asked to enter your watch passcode, make sure you do so. Note that the upgrade process can take some time, especially on older Apple Watch models.
Once the upgrade is complete, check out the new features such as the Portrait watch face, updated weather app, redesigned Home app, updated Photos app, and more. Let us know what you think of the new update in the comments below.
- iOS 15 is now available to all users with new Focus Mode, improved Siri, Spotlight, and more
- iPadOS 15 is now available with home screen widgets, multitasking improvements and more
- Apple releases tvOS 15 with Spatial Audio, Shared with You, and HomePod mini support
- HomePod software version 15 released with Siri improvements and bass level customization