One of the great feature in iPhone 4 is Facetime but officially, it can be use via Wifi only and not with your 3G connection. This is probably because AT&T can not afford the load. Fring app has an option of video calling via 3G but its quality is creepy. But now a jailbreak-only app, My3G has been updated which allows you to place FaceTime calls via 3G. This app somehow makes the iPhone think it using a Wifi connection.
If you think there was no reason to jailbreak your iPhone 4 before, then there is now because everyone would love to use FaceTime time from just about any place. We are not sure how good the quality would be with AT&T’s 3G network. Check out the video by 9to5Mac of FaceTime in action on 3G:
To use this app, you have to download “Rock” from Cydia, then download My3G from Rock. Rock version will cost $3.99 but we think its worth it. The app is also available from Cydia for $2.79 via the ModMyi repo.
– In-App popup request to enable/never ask for My3G to be enabled for that app
– In-App indicator when My3G changes the network from 3G to WiFi
– Ability to select which apps are My3G enabled and not.
– Default Apps – no configuration for the most popular apps!
– SBSettings Toggle! You can temporarily enable My3G for all apps or toggle back using your defined Apps list
– Dynamic enablement – Higher successs rate (near 100%) then 3G Unrestrictor (which does one off solutions for apps). My3G enables 3G indicators more dynamically.
If you have not jailbroken your iPhone 4 then here is the guide to it. You can download My3G for iPhone 4 from here.