Apple has released iOS 14.4 and iPadOS 14.4 with camera improvements, Bluetooth device classification, notifications for non-genuine camera modules for iPhone 12 line-up, and a bunch of fixes for Fitness widget, CarPlay, keyboard, and more.
iOS 14.4 and iPadOS 14.4 has been in beta testing since December 2020, but received just two beta releases before the release candidate was seeded last week to developers and public beta testers.
What’s new in iOS 14.4 and iPadOS 14.4?
Here is the list of new iOS 14.4 features and bug fixes. These apply to iPadOS 14.4 too, except for the iPhone-only features.
iOS 14.4 includes the following improvements for your iPhone:
- Smaller QR codes can be recognized by Camera
- Option to classify Bluetooth device type in Settings for correct identification of headphones for audio notifications
- Notifications for when the camera on your iPhone is unable to be verified as a new, genuine Apple camera in iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
This release also fixes the following issues:
- Image artifacts could appear in HDR photos taken with iPhone 12 Pro
- Fitness widget may not display updated Activity data
- Typing may be delayed and word suggestions may not appear in the keyboard
- The keyboard may not come up in the correct language in Messages
- Audio stories from the News app in CarPlay may not resume after being paused for spoken directions or Siri
- Enabling Switch Control in Accessibility may prevent phone calls from being answered from the Lock Screen
Time to Walk workout was also found in iOS 14.4 beta builds, however, Apple released the feature for iOS 14.3 and watchOS 7.2. The workout features episodes from influential people that are available for users with Apple Fitness+ subscription:
Ranging from 25 to 40 minutes, ‘Time to Walk’ workout features episodes from influential entertainment, sports, current affairs, and other people as audio files for users to listen to while maintaining their good health. The episode will download automatically on Apple Watch with a Fitness subscription and will be available in the Workout app.
A few users had also reported seeing Apple’s new App Tracking Transparency in action in iOS 14.4 beta, but it is unclear if Apple plans to roll it out with this update.
How to download iOS 14.4 and iPadOS 14.4?
iOS 14.4 and iPadOS 14.4 are available as an over-the-air update, and can be download by going to Settings > General > Software Update on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. You would need to be connected to a Wi-Fi network and have at least 50% battery charge to start the installation process.
Alternatively, you can connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac or Windows PC, open Finder or iTunes, respectively, and check for the new software update.