iOS 16.1 will release with a number of new and delayed features including key sharing in the Wallet app, iCloud Shared Photo Library, Apple Card Savings account, Live Activities, Matter support, and more.
iOS 16.1 features
iOS 16 launched last month for iPhone, however, Apple delayed a number of features including iCloud Shared Photo Library, Live Activities, Matter support, and more. Now that Apple has released iOS 16.1 release candidate, it has been confirmed that these delayed features, alongside other recently announced features, will be released to users on October 24.
Here is a list of the new features that will be available in iOS 16.1:
- iCloud Shared Photo Library. This feature allows sharing photos and videos with up to five other people. Users can define various rules for which photos are shared, who can add/edit/caption photos in the library, and more. A sharing toggle in the camera app also allows users to directly send photos to the shared library if they are close to other participants, as detected via Bluetooth.
- Live Activities from third-party apps will be available for iPhone 14 Pro Dynamic Island and lock screen for all supported iPhone models.
- Fitness+ will work on iPhone even if the user does not have an Apple Watch.
- Wallet app keys support. Key sharing will allow users to use messaging apps like WhatsApp to share car or hotel room keys with others.
- Savings account will be available in Wallet app for Apple Card users.
- Matter support is being added to the Home app
- Clean Energy Charging will be available to users in the United States. This feature will help decrease carbon footprint by optimizing charging times based on when the grid uses cleaner energy sources.