iPhone 12 beats competition to become best selling 5G phone in the world

Despite launching less than two months ago, iPhone 12 has become the best selling 5G smartphone in the world, as per a new research. Apple had launched iPhone 12 over October and November, releasing iPhone 12 and 12 Pro first, followed by iPhone 12 mini and 12 Pro Max in November.

Even though other Android manufacturers had a head start when it comes to launching 5G smartphones, they lag behind Apple when it comes to global sales. Apple is selling just four variants of iPhone 12 that are 5G capable, while competitors like Samsung and Huawei have launched many 5G capable smartphones.

iPhone 12 Pro

iPhone 12 leads in global sales for 5G smartphones

The primary reason for the high number of sales for iPhone 12 is due to the iOS user base waiting to switch to 5G. With Android, users have a choice to switch between different manufacturers to get the latest features, however, with Apple, users are dependent on the company to introduce features which can result in high sales over the initial roll-out period. Counterpoint research believes that iPhone 12 had become the best selling 5G smartphone within just 2 weeks of launch – before its mini and Pro Max variants hit the market.

There is a large pent-up demand for 5G upgrade, especially within the iOS base, which is now getting converted into sales. This was complemented by strong carrier promos, especially in the US, which accounted for over one-third of the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro sales for the month. All carriers were offering the iPhone 12 for $0 through a mix of the trade-in and unlimited plans.

China and Japan also saw strong initial demand for the iPhone 12 series. Compared to most of the other 5G models, which have a regional presence, the iPhone 12 has a wider market coverage – it is available in over 140 countries, thus helping sales.

iPhone 12 and 12 Pro sales are following by Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra 5G, which was the most popular 5G smartphone before Apple’s offering. It is important to note that even though Apple holds the top two spots, for a total of 24% 5G smartphone sales market share, the remaining 76% is still captured by Android smartphones.

iPhone 12 sales 5G smartphones

When we look at the overall picture, iPhone 12 introduces more than just 5G support. It also features a new design, and users had been waiting for Apple to switch from its iPhone X design language. Even though it still exists in some ways on the new iPhone 12, the sharp edges and flat design are a departure from last few year’s models.

Counterpoint research believes that Apple will carry on the sale momentum even in 2021. The research also says that iPhone 12 is speeding up the adoption of mmWave support in the United States. iPhone 12 sales in the Unites States mean that the number of mmWave capable smartphones is increasing rapidly, which will push carriers to invest in more infrastructure to support it. Counterpoint claims that mmWave will also help in with future Apple products that could utilize AR and VR, hinting towards Apple Glasses.

Read more:

About the Author

Addicted to social media and in love with iPhone, started blogging as a hobby. And now it's my passion for every day is a new learning experience. Hopefully, manufacturers will continue to use innovative solutions and we will keep on letting you know about them.


Leave a comment