Visual Studio 2010 is the latest version of Microsoft’s IDE which has a new improved UI build using WPF, tools for Windows 7 and SharePoint 2010, drag and drop bindings for Silverlight and WPF, parallel programming support and the inclusion of Dynamic Language Runtime for programming with scripting languages. The release of Visual Studio 2010 was delayed (originally 22nd March) due to some performance issues but now the new launch date is April 12, 2010 according to Mary Jo Foley who picked it up from Developer Division’s Marketing and Communications Manager Rob Caron’s blog.
Visual Studio 2010’s launch will be accompanied by the release of .Net framework 4.0. The first beta of Visual Studio 2010 was released in May, 2009 in the form of a Virtual PC image while the second public beta was released in October, 2009. Here’s a list of the new features available in Visual Studio 2010:
- New prototyping, modeling, and visual design tools enable you to create innovative applications for Windows and the Web
- Create a shared vision as a foundation for creativity with SketchFlow ,in Microsoft Expression® Studio , and Team Foundation Server
- Take advantage of new opportunities & capabilities offered by multi-core programming and cloud development tools
- Complete all your coding, modeling, testing, debugging, and deployment work without leaving the Visual Studio 2010 environment
- Use existing standards and skills to target a growing number of application types including Microsoft SharePoint® and Windows® Azure™
- Work your way through multi-monitor support, partner extensions, and a new editor.
- Use the new IntelliTrace debugger to isolate the point of failure within a recorded application history.
- Stay ahead of the curve with proactive project management tools including new reports, dashboards, and planning worksheets.
- Know that you’ve built the right application the right way with manual and automated testing tools.
You can get the public betas of different Visual Studio 2010 SKUs from the following links:
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Professional Beta 2 – ISO
Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010 Beta 2 – ISO
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Premium Beta 2 – ISO
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition Beta 2 – ISO