Telegram has been updated which brings new features to the iOS versions of the app. In the updated app, iPhone and iPad users will now be able to make group video calls, apply animated backgrounds and use screen sharing features.
Telegram is a private and secure messaging app that gained popularity and up to 25 million new users during the WhatsApp privacy update controversy. Recently, the messaging company announced that the app will soon allow users to import their WhatsApp chat history on iOS and Android. In addition, users will also be able to import Facebook’s Messenger, KakaoTalk, and Line app chats on Telegram.
Make messaging enjoyable with group video calls, animated backgrounds, and more on the updated Telegram app
The secure messaging app offers new features to make socializing more enjoyable with message animations, and creative backgrounds with a larger group of family and friends. The release notes read:
- Group Video Calls
- Start video conferences from Voice Chats in any group.
- Share your screen or video from your camera with up to 30 participants (limit to be increased soon).
- Talk without video with an unlimited number of participants.
- Create voice chats from the info page of any group where you are an admin.
- Group video calls are supported natively on all devices, including iPads and laptops.
- Animated Backgrounds
- Meet animated backgrounds for chats – first time in a messaging app! These multi-color gradient backgrounds are generated algorithmically and move beautifully every time you send a message.
- Create your own backgrounds in Appearance Settings by selecting unique combinations of colors and applying any of the dozens of patterns.
- Share your animated backgrounds with friends and family to upgrade them to a new level of messaging experience.
- Choose between dozens of new gorgeous animated backgrounds in Appearance Settings > Background.
- Backgrounds are now partially visible through the header and the footer in chats.
- Message Sending Animations
- Send messages with improved animations – your input text smoothly transforms into the message bubble as it flies into the chat.
- Stickers and animated emoji you send jump into the chat from the sticker panel.
- Change your app icon to one of the new gradient logos in Settings > Appearance.
Telegram’s latest update on iOS is released after a lawsuit is filed against Apple for not removing the app because of violent content on the platform connected to Capitol Hill attacks in January 2021. The plaintiffs, coalition of Safer Web and Ambassador Marc Ginsberg, argue that Apple is using App Store to intimidate the public to protect perpetrators. Earlier, Apple removed the Parler app from the App Store when the company refused to remove and self-regulate hate speech on the platform when it was discovered that the Capitol Hill attackers used the platform to organize the event and used it to coordinate acts of violence on the day of the attack. However, the app has returned to the App Store as a moderated version.
Telegram is available on the App Store for free. It is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch and requires iOS 9.0 or later, and iPadOS 9.0 or later.