The popular video-sharing app, TikTok now lets users receive direct messages from everyone, like Meta’s Instagram app.
TikTok is a popular video-sharing app that allows users to create, watch, and share videos shot on mobile devices or webcams. This app is notable for its addictive quality and high levels of engagement.
TikTok DMs opening for everyone
The Information reports, TikTok is now changing its direct messaging feature with a new option that allows users to open their inboxes to everyone. The feature was first introduced In November of last year but was only available to a small group of users. In a recent email sent to TikTok users, the platform confirms that it is now expanding the options in its app.
For those unfamiliar, TikTok already has direct messaging on its platform but that feature only works for people who follow each other on the platform. But now instead of being able to send messages to only friends, TikTok users will be able to DM anyone who has their inbox open to the public.
The new feature is optional and users can choose to continue receiving messages only from their mutual followers and recommended friends. With this new feature, TikTok wants to ensure that more users will share videos with others directly on the app instead of using other social networks.
Despite being a video-focused platform, TikTok has been getting a lot of attention recently and this will also help the platform move toward becoming the ultimate social network.
- Recap of Apple announcements in Jan 2023: MacBook Pro, HomePod 2, iOS 16.3, and more
- Apple censorship on Safari was expanded to Hong Kong, temporarily
- Apple puts the development of in-house Wi-Fi chips on hold for a while
- Apple spent $9.4 million on lobbying in 2022, a 44% increase from 2021
- Apple Fellow Phil Schiller dumps Twitter to join Mastodon
- Apple to increase India production share up to 25% says trade minister