Developed by Emerald City Games and CDE Entertainment, Tomb Raider Reloaded is an enjoyable action arcade game that’s available on iOS and Android devices.
Tomb Raider is one of the most iconic videogame series with Lara Croft, one of the most popular and recognizable fictional characters in gaming. The Tomb Raider series has gone through many reinventions and explored a variety of genres and styles over the years.
While most of these games have been large-scale console and PC games, the franchise has also popped into the mobile sphere. In Tomb Raider’s latest game, the IP is available on the small screen once more.
This Tomb Raider Reloaded top-down level-based adventure sees Croft exploring many ruins and dangerous locations
Tomb Raider Reloaded is a combined strategy, with roguelike elements, and a bullet-hell action game that sees players tackling through various stages as they progressively upgrade Lara Croft by giving her better armor and weapons and upgrading her passive stats to get through each stage as they get harder.
Players hinge around a single input: a movement wheel that navigates enemies, traps, and puzzles, and when players stop moving, Croft automatically targets the closest enemy and starts shooting them down. This makes the game very simple and enjoyable while you shoot the enemies and escape from their attacks and other projectiles.
There are power-ups given to players to mix and match to clear through the different stages of the game. Watching Lara turn from a slow-shooting, limited damage-dealing explorer to an unstoppable killing machine thanks to my choices always gave me real joy, especially when a power-up that I didn’t think I would like ended up being the strongest in my arsenal.
Each location on the world map is from 10 to 50 levels of stages where players should help Croft dodge traps and fight enemies in order to get from the bottom of the stage to the door at the top. The locations will always have the same levels and structures, so, all it takes is some memorization and patience to pass through each stage.
After every stage is complete, multiple rewards are given to the player, who can use them to upgrade Lara and purchase supplies before moving on to the next location.
The in-game trade items in Tomb Raider Reloaded include:
- Coins: The base currency, used in tandem with other items to buy upgrades.
- Gems: The deluxe currency used to buy loot boxes in the store, and the only currency you buy from the in-game store with real money.
- Plane tickets: Players spend to have a run, and slowly regenerates over time.
- Guns, amulets, bracelets, backpacks, masks, and ammunition: They can be equipped and upgraded to your tastes.
- “D”, “E” and “W” tokens: Players collect for daily and weekly challenges, which fill bars to unlock bonuses.
- Manuals: These are used to upgrade guns, ammo types, amulets, bracelets, and supplies.
- Scrolls: These can offer bonuses on each run.
- Stickers: Players can trade in batches for unlockables on a limited basis.
- Runes: It can help players upgrade costumes.
- Jacket pieces: These can be used to unlock new outfits with other bonuses.
- Relic pieces: These can combine into trinkets to give you permanent buffs.
- Shards: It upgrades these relic pieces.
- Adverts: It offers bonus coins, an opportunity to have a second go on any failed run, and the occasional buff via meetings with your butler Winston.
Tomb Raider Reloaded gets really interesting and more challenging as you go through each stage so you should be careful of what you use your resources on. While the ads are annoying and pop-ups after completed missions can be frustrating, the game is really fun and time-consuming, so if you find yourself bored, you should give it a try.
You can download Tomb Raider Reloaded on iPhone and iPad via App Store and on Android smartphones via Play Store. While the game is free-to-play and there is not any battle pass, you can buy gems to open “Incredible Crates” to get equipment. Gem purchases range from $0.99 – $99.99.