Apple has released watchOS 7.2 for all users with Fitness+ service and cardio fitness notifications. The update is available for Apple Watch Series 3 and later.
Apple Fitness+ is the company’s new subscription service for workouts and works primarily via Apple Watch. Cardio fitness notifications measure VO2 max to alert users when their cardio fitness levels are low. These measurements can also be tracked in the Health app. The update also brings support for braille display to Apple Watch, ECG support for Taiwan, and Family Setup to Bahrain, Spain, Canada, and Norway.
Apple Watch gets Fitness+ and cardio fitness notifications with watchOS 7.2
Here are the complete releases notes from Apple for the new update:
watchOS 7.2 includes new features and improvements, including Apple Fitness+, a personalized fitness experience powered by Apple Watch. Additional features include low cardio fitness notifications and support for braille displays. This update also contains performance improvements.
- A new fitness experience powered by Apple Watch with studio-style workouts available on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV
- Video workouts added each week in ten popular workout types: High Intensity Interval Training, Indoor Cycling, Yoga, Core, Strength, Dance, Rowing, Treadmill Walking, Treadmill Running, and Mindful Cooldown
- Fitness+ subscription available in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and United States
This update also includes the following features and improvements:
- Option to be notified when your cardio fitness is at a low level
- Ability to review your cardio fitness level based on your age and sex in the Health app on iPhone
- Atrial fibrillation classification at heart rates above 100 BPM now offered in the ECG app in most regions where the app is available
- Support for the ECG app on Apple Watch Series 4 or later in Taiwan
- Support for braille displays with VoiceOver
- Support for Family Setup in Bahrain, Canada, Norway, and Spain (Cellular models of Apple Watch Series 4 or later and Apple Watch SE)
To upgrade your Watch, place it on its charger and make sure that it has at least 50% battery charge. On your iPhone, go to Watch app > Settings > General > Software Update to download the new version.
Apple has detailed how the new cardio fitness measurements and notifications will work with watchOS 7.2 and iOS 14.3:
With iOS 14.3 and watchOS 7.2, Apple Watch users can view their cardio fitness level in the Health app on iPhone, and receive a notification on Apple Watch if it falls within the low range. Breakthrough technology released in watchOS 7 allows Apple Watch to easily measure low cardio fitness, and today cardio fitness notifications empower users to be more active for dramatic long-term health benefits.
Cardiorespiratory fitness, as measured by VO2 max, is the maximum amount of oxygen the body can use during exercise, and it can be increased through physical activity. Apple Watch already estimates average and higher levels of VO2 max during vigorous outdoor walks, runs, or hikes, which many runners and other athletes monitor to improve performance.
Apple also released macOS 11.1 and tvOS 14.3 today.