The first-generation AirPods Pro headphones were launch in 2019 but users complained of crackling or static sound and active noise cancellation issues. Therefore, in October 2020, Apple launched an AirPods Pro service program to replace earbuds which caused sound issues like crackling or static sounds and others. At the time, the program covered faulty units, purchased before October 2020, for 2 years from the date of purchase.
Now, the tech giant has quietly extended the coverage time by a year. The affected AirPods Pro units are covered for 3 years under the service program, after the first retail sale of the unit.
Now, the AirPods Pro service program covers the affected units for 3 years
The update was highlighted on Reddit, that Apple has extended the service program to 3 years from 2 years. AirPods owners who purchased the headphones in 2019 are covered till 2022 and owners who purchased them before October 2020, are covered till 2023. The updated support page reads:
“The program covers affected AirPods Pro for 3 years after the first retail sale of the unit.”
Under the service, Apple will replace the earbuds (left, right, or both) with the following sound issues:
- Crackling or static sounds that increase in loud environments, with exercise, or while talking on the phone
- Active Noise Cancellation not working as expected, such as a loss of bass sound, or an increase in background sounds, such as street or airplane noise
It must be kept in mind that the AirPods Pro charging case will be replaced under the service program and the program is only available for AirPods Pro, not AirPod and AirPod Max headphones. Affected users can avail the service at Apple Stores or authorized service providers. However, the headphones will be examined before service to verify that they are eligible for the service program.
- AirPods Pro gain Conversation Boost, here’s how to enable the feature
- What to expect from Apple’s October 18 ‘Unleashed’ event: MacBook Pro, AirPods and more
- Report reconfirms future AirPods as health monitoring devices to measure temperature and more