Apple recently released firmware version 4A400 for the second-generation AirPods, AirPods Pro, and AirPods Max. The firmware enables Conversation Boost, a feature Apple announced at WWDC 21, for AirPods Pro. Here’s how to enable the new feature.
AirPods Pro gain Conversation Boost feature
Announced at WWDC 21, Conversation Boost is designed particularly for users with mild hearing impairment and this feature will amplify the audio for them to stay connected in the conversations. “Computational audio and beamforming microphones of AirPods will focus on the person in front of the user so that they can hear better and follow along with the face-to-face conversation.”
How to enable Coversation Boost
To enable Conversation Boost, make sure your AirPods Pro are updated to firmware version 4A400. There is no way to manually update your AirPods to new firmware versions. But, the update typically occurs when your AirPods and iPhone are near each other and charging so you can try that and see if the update installs. Make sure the AirPods are connected to your iPhone via Bluetooth. Here is how you can check your AirPods Pro’s firmware version to see if they have been updated:
- Launch Settings on iPhone > go to the Bluetooth menu.
- Find your AirPods Max in the list of the connected device and tap the ‘i’ next to them.
- Look at the Firmware Version number.
Once the earbuds have been updated to the latest firmware, Conversation Boost can be turned on via an iPhone or iPad running iOS 15 or iPadOS 15.
- Launch Settings.
- Tap on Accessibility > Audio/Visual.
- Next, tap on Headphone Accommodations.
- Scroll and tap on Transparency Mode > switch the toggle on for Conversation Boost.
The latest firmware also features Find My network support for AirPods Pro and AirPods Max. The integration allows AirPods Pro and AirPods Max owners to locate their headphones, enable Lost Mode, and more.
- How to use Background Sounds in iOS 15 to focus, stay calm or rest
- How to stop photos from Messages appearing in Shared with You in iOS 15
- Here are easy fixes to common iOS 15 issues and problems
- How to use iOS 15 portrait video and audio effects in any app including Instagram, Snapchat and TikTok
- How to use Announce Notifications with Siri in iOS 15