In honor and celebration of Veterans Day, Apple has updated Apple Maps with 3D landmarks and memorials of WWII, Vietnam, and Korean war heroes in Washington, D.C. Apple introduced 3D maps in iOS 15 update for select cities: London, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco, Philadelphia, San Diego, and Washington, D.C. In 2022, the 3D maps of Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver will be available on Apple Maps.
On Apple Maps, the 3D map of Washington, D.C. allows users to explore veterans landmarks and memorials in the city
The 3D map of Washington, D.C., now allows users worldwide to explore landmarks and memorials like the World War II Memorial, Korean War Veterans Memorial, or Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
Furthermore, in the US Military Heritage in National Parks guide on the app, the National Park Foundation invites people to explore sites that honor the service of veterans across the United States: Minute Man National Historical Park in Concord, Massachusetts, Rosie the Riveter WWII Home Front National Historical Park in Richmond, California and many more.
Exclusive features in honor of Veterans Day across Apple apps
In addition to the inclusion of veterans’ 3D landmarks and memorials, Apple commemorates Veterans Day by exclusive features on various apps.
- Apple Books offers dedicated eBook and audiobook collections on veteran stories, war histories, and personal struggles to resocialize in civilian life.
- Apple Podcasts offers a collection of shows produced by veterans covering their inspiring and informative stories in the U.S.
- Apple TV app features inspiring documentaries which showcase the service and sacrifices of veterans like “Sky Blossom,” sweeping dramas, and even irreverent comedies.
- Apple Fitness+ new episode of Time to Walk with Gen. CG Brown Jr., chief of staff of the US Air Force and the first African American to lead a branch of the armed forces.
On this walk honoring Veterans Day, Brown describes how he has bounced back from professional setbacks to achieve the highest rank in the Air Force, and what it was like to speak out after the murder of George Floyd. – Apple
- App Store offers a story on Mindfulness Coach, “an app created by the VA National Center for PTSD to help veterans and active service members engage with mindfulness practices.”
- 2021 Apple Watch Activity Challenges to earn exclusive badges for completing 15 minutes workouts.
- A special feature on the T6 iPad app, designed based on the data obtained from the battlefield by veterans for the treatment of trauma patients.