Instagram has released seven new exciting features to make messaging and sharing on the app more fun, expressive and convenient. The new experiences include the ability to send a 30-second preview of a song, reply to a message while browsing, create a poll in a group chat, and more.
Here are all the new Instagram messaging features
The new features are primarily for the Homepage feed and Direct Messages sections of the app.
- Reply while browsing: Users can now easily and quickly respond to a message directly from their feed without going to the inbox.
- Quickly share content: By tapping and holding on the share button, users can share an interesting post or account with close friends or family.
Direct Message section
- Check who’s online: In the DM section, the users who are online will appear on top of the inbox UI like on Facebook to start conversations.
- New @silent tag: The new @silent tag allows users to quietly send messages to the intended receivers without generating an unwanted notification. It can ideal for messaging a friend during a meeting, or late at night.
- Share a preview of songs: Integrated with Apple Music, and Amazon Music, users can share a 30-seconds preview of their favorite track and the receiver can play the song directly from the chat window. Support for Spotify is coming soon.
- Create a poll in group chats: To get friends’ feedback on the venue selection for an upcoming birthday or dinner, users can create polls directly in their group chats.
- New lo-fi chat theme: The new lo-fi chat theme makes the conversations more personal.
Instagram said that the new messaging features are designed to improve how users connect and share with their family, friends, or followers in “fun and seamless” ways. However, the new features will be available in select countries.