Here is how you can install iOS 16 on iPhone using wireless updates or via a Mac or Windows PC. iOS 16 was released earlier today with a customizable lock screen, and improvements to Messages, Focus mode, intelligence features, and more. Check out our coverage of the top features in iOS 16.
Install iOS 16
iOS 16 compatible iPhone models
iOS 16 is compatible with iPhone 8 and later models.
Preparation for the update
Before starting the update, make sure of the following:
- Make sure you have sufficient free storage on your iPhone. If you don’t, you can still install the update using a Mac or Windows PC.
- Make sure that you have at least 50% battery charge.
- Connect your iPhone to a stable Wi-Fi connection.
- Back up your iPhone using iCloud or a Mac or Windows PC.
Install iOS 16 wirelessly
- Go to Settings > General > Software Update.
- Wait for the iOS 16 update to appear.
- Tap on the Download and Install button to start the process.
- If you see terms and conditions, tap on accept.
- Enter your iPhone passcode when asked.
The installation process will now start. Your iPhone might restart a few times during the update. Once the update is completed, you will be greeted with a welcome screen, which will confirm that iOS 16 is now installed.
Install iOS 16 using a computer
You can use iTunes or Windows, or Finder on Mac, to install iOS 16 on your iPhone. This is specially useful if you have low storage on your iPhone.
- Connect your iPhone using a cable to your Mac or Windows PC.
- Once you see iPhone in the sidebar, click on it.
- Click on the “Check for Update” button in Finder or iTunes.This will check for the latest update on Apple’s servers, which is iOS 16 at the time of writing.
- Click on the Download and Update button when it appears.
- Enter your passcode if asked.
Once the update downloads, the rest of the installation process will continue on the iPhone.