Here is how you can install watchOS 9.1 on Apple Watch using your iPhone, or directly on Watch.
Apple released watchOS 9.1 today a new Low Power Mode, the ability to download music when Watch is not on a charger or connected to Wi-Fi, and Matter support.
Table of Contents
Install watchOS 9.1
watchOS 9.1 compatible Apple Watch models
watchOS 9.1 is compatible with the following Apple Watch models:
- Apple Watch Ultra
- Apple Watch Series 8
- Apple Watch SE (2022)
- Apple Watch Series 7
- Apple Watch Series 6
- Apple Watch SE
- Apple Watch Series 5
- Apple Watch Series 4
Preparation for the update
Before starting the update, there are a few important checklist items:
- Make sure that your iPhone has the latest iOS 16.1 update installed.
- Ensure that your Apple Watch and iPhone have at least 50% battery charge.
- Connect your iPhone to a stable Wi-Fi connection.
- Keep your iPhone close to your Apple Watch throughout the process.
- Place your Apple Watch on its charging puck until the update is complete.
Install watchOS 9.1 on Apple Watch using iPhone
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone and go to General > Software Update.
- Wait for the update to appear, and tap on the download button.
- Enter your passcode when asked.
- Once the process starts, you will see it on the Apple Watch.
Don’t move your iPhone away from the Watch during the update process, quit the Watch app on your iPhone, or remove the Watch from its charging puck until the update completes.
Install watchOS 9.1 directly from Apple Watch
After watchOS 6, Apple included the ability to download and install updates directly from an Apple Watch. Here’s how you can do this:
- Make sure that your Watch is connected to a Wi-Fi network. This will not work via a cellular network.
- Go to Settings app > General > Software Update on your Apple Watch.
- Tap the install button once the software update appears to start the download process.
Don’t remove your Watch from its charging puck until the update completes. Your Watch may restart a few times before the update is completed.
Troubleshooting issues with watchOS 9.1 update
If you face any issues with the update:
- Try updating your iPhone and Apple Watch and following the aforementioned steps again.
- Check if your iPhone is on the latest iOS version.
- Make sure that your iPhone and Apple Watch have sufficient free storage available.