Apple has released iPadOS 15.6 beta to developers. Here is how you can install iPadOS 15.6 beta on iPad using a beta configuration profile.
Since this is a developer beta, you will have to register with Apple’s Developer Program to install it. A word of warning: don’t install the developer beta on a daily driver as it could cause unexpected problems like data loss. If you are really interested in trying out the latest iPadOS update, you can wait for the public beta which would also be free to download and ready for use by the public.
Install iPadOS 15.6 beta
Backup your iPad using iTunes and iCloud
First things first, back up your iPad using either or both of the following methods. Although the upgrade is usually free of any issues, it is better to be safe than sorry.
- Finder/iTunes backup. Connect your iPad to a Mac (Finder) or Windows PC (iTunes), with the latest version of the software to back it up.
- iCloud backup. Go to Settings > Apple ID > iCloud and look for the iCloud Backup option. Make sure that it is turned on, and tap on Back up now.
Download iPadOS 15.6 developer beta
The first step for downloading a beta configurable profile is to create an account with Apple Developer Center which costs $99/year. This account not only gives you access to the beta profiles for all Apple operating systems but also gives you access to SDK and other developer tools.
Alternatively, you can search a website like Reddit for the configuration profile but we do not recommend installing it from unverified sources. It’s better to wait for the public beta instead.
- Log in to your Apple Developer Center account.
- Open Downloads in Safari on iPad and look for iPadOS 15.6 beta. Tap Install Profile. This will open a dialogue box, tap Allow.
- Next, go to Settings on your iPad and you will see a Profile Downloaded section. Tap it and you will see the configuration profile installation screen. Tap Install on the top right corner. Enter your passcode and tap Install at the bottom of the screen. Restart your iPad when asked, to complete the profile installation process.
- After your iPad restarts, go to Settings > General > Software Update on your iPad and wait for the beta to show up. Make sure that your device has at least 50% battery or is plugged into a charger before you start the download. Tap on Download and Install and wait for the process to complete. Your iPad will restart a few times during the installation process.
That’s it. Enjoy the new beta!
P.S. if you want to perform a clean install, you can download the IPSW restore image for your iPad from Apple Developer Center and use Finder in macOS or iTunes on Windows to upgrade your iPad. This will delete all data from your iPad so make a backup before proceeding.