Apple has rolled out iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 release candidate builds for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch to developers. The updates are available over-the-air as well as via Apple Developer Center for developers. The public betas for testers are not available yet at the time of writing.
Table of Contents
iOS 15.5 beta and iPadOS 15.5 release candidate
May 12: Apple has rolled out the release candidate builds for iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5. Here is the changelog from Apple:
iOS 15.5 includes the following improvements and bug fixes:
- Wallet now enables Apple Cash customers to send and request money from their Apple Cash card
- Apple Podcasts includes a new setting to limit episodes stored on your iPhone and automatically delete older ones
- Fixes an issue where home automations, triggered by people arriving or leaving, may fail
iOS 15.5 beta and iPadOS 15.5 beta 4
May 3: Apple has released the fourth beta for iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5.
iOS 15.5 beta and iPadOS 15.5 beta 3
April 26: Apple has released the third beta for iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5. We will update this post if we find anything new.
iOS 15.5 beta and iPadOS 15.5 beta 2
April 19: The second developer beta is now available for iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5. We will update this post as we find new features and changes.
iOS 15.5 beta and iPadOS 15.5 beta
April 6: Apple has released the first public betas for iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5.
As of now, it is unclear what has changed in these new beta updates. Apple has not shared any release notes, however, a known issue with Universal Control is mentioned:
- Universal Control in this release isn’t compatible with macOS 12.3 and iOS 15.4.Workaround: Use Universal Control between macOS 12.4 beta and iOS 15.5. (91136128)
We are downloading the beta updates on our devices and will update this post as we find any new changes and features.
Update: here are the new features found so far in iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 beta 1:
- References to Apple Classical app have been found in the code. This likely is due to Apple’s acquisition of Primephonic, after which the company confirmed that it is working to offer a new classical music experience. References to Apple Classical app were also found previously in the Apple Music beta for Android.
- Apple Pay Cash in Wallet now shows request and send buttons to make it easy to transfer money.
- WiFi signal bars in the Home app show HomePod connectivity.
- SportsKit is still being developed as per code references.
- Apple Card is now called “Titanium Card” in the Wallet app.
- “iTunes Pass” in the Wallet app is now called “Apple Account Card”. This card usually shows the remaining balance in the account.
iOS 15.5 beta and iPadOS 15.5 beta compatible devices
iOS 15.5 beta and iPadOS 15.5 beta are compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone 6s and later
- iPad Pro (all models)
- iPad Air 2 and later
- iPad 5th generation and later
- iPad mini 4 and later
- iPod touch (7th generation)
Install iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5 beta
Since these are beta updates, it is not recommended that they be installed on daily drivers. However, if you are technically savvy, or a developer, you can download the beta releases by registering with Apple Developer Center for a membership that costs $99 per year. Once you register, you can download the relevant beta profile for your device, which will make it eligible to receive beta updates over the air. You will also be able to download the complete IPSW files for these beta releases in case you want to perform a clean install or manually upgrade using iTunes or Finder.
Once you install the beta profile on your device, you can go to Settings > General > Software Update on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch to download the update. Subsequent beta updates will also be installed in the same manner. As a rule of thumb, always make sure that your device has at least 50% battery charge, and is connected to a stable Wi-Fi network during the download process.
- How to install iOS 15.5 beta on iPhone
- Apple seeds tvOS 15.5 beta to developers
- PSA: there is no iOS 15 jailbreak available yet, stay on iOS 14 if it’s important to you
- Downgrade iOS 15 to iOS 14.8 with these simple steps
- How to upgrade an iPhone or iPad to iOS 15/iPadOS 15