Apple has released macOS Monterey 12.4 release candidate to developers. The update is available via Apple Developer Center as well as over-the-air for Macs enrolled in the developer beta program. A public beta has not been released yet.
Apple had released macOS Monterey 12.3.1 recently with some bug fixes and security updates.
Table of Contents
macOS Monterey 12.4 release candidate
May 12: Apple released macOS Monterey 12.4 release candidate to developers. Here are the release notes from Apple:
- Apple Podcasts includes a new setting to limit episodes stored on your Mac and automatically delete older ones
- Support for Studio Display Firmware Update 15.5, available as a separate update, refines camera tuning, including improved noise reduction, contrast, and framing
Another change, that is not in release notes, is that Universal Control is not tagged as beta in System Preferences anymore.
macOS Monterey 12.4 beta 4
May 3: Apple has released the fourth beta for macOS 12.4.
macOS Monterey 12.4 beta 3
April 26: Apple has released the third beta for macOS 12.4. We will update this post if we find anything new.
macOS Monterey 12.4 beta 2
April 19: Apple has released the second developer beta for macOS Monterey 12.4. We will update this post as we find any new features.
macOS Monterey 12.4 beta 1
April 6: Apple has released the first public beta for macOS Monterey 12.4.
Apple has not shared any release notes for the new changes and features in this beta. We will update this post as we find new features or updates.
Apple has shared the following as a known issue in this release, so keep this in mind before you install the beta.
- Universal Control in this release isn’t compatible with macOS 12.3 and iOS 15.4.Workaround: Use Universal Control between macOS 12.4 beta and iOS 15.5. (91136128)
Check out our coverage of the new features in macOS Monterey:
- New Safari design and tab groups
- Focus and notifications improvements
- Live Text
- FaceTime improvements and SharePlay
- Shared with You
- Low Power Mode
- iCloud Private Relay
- iCloud password manager in settings
- M1 app improvements
- Spatial audio support for AirPods Pro and AirPods Max (M1 Macs only)
Is your Mac compatible with macOS Monterey 12.4 beta?
macOS Monterey 12.4 beta is compatible with the following Intel and M1 Macs:
- MacBook Air (early 2015 and later)
- MacBook Pro (early 2015 and later)
- MacBook (early 2016 and later)
- iMac (later 2015 and later)
- iMac Pro (2017 and later)
- Mac mini (late 2014 and later)
- Mac Pro (late 2013 and later)
Install macOS Monterey 12.4 beta
Since this is a beta, it is not recommend that you install it on your daily driver as it might have bugs that could cause data or functionality loss.
To install the developer beta, you will have to register for a membership to Apple Developer Center, which costs $99 per year. You will be able to download a utility from Apple Developer Center which will allow you to enroll your Mac into the beta program and receive developer beta updates. The updates will be available over the air through System Preferences > Software Update. Full restore images are also available Apple Developer Center, for Macs with M1 chips and Intel chips.
- How to clean install macOS Monterey on a Mac
- How to create a macOS Monterey bootable USB installer
- How to download macOS Monterey without Mac App Store
- How to downgrade from macOS Monterey to macOS Big Sur