Apple has released macOS Monterey 12.3.1 for all compatible Macs. The update features bug fixes for external displays and Bluetooth connectivity issues.
The previous major software update for Mac was macOS 12.3, which was released with Universal Control, Spatial Audio, 37 new emoji, and a number of other enhancements and bug fixes.
What’s new in macOS Monterey 12.3.1?
macOS Monterey 12.3.1 is a minor software update and features fixes for external displays and Bluetooth device connectivity. Here are the release notes from Apple:
This update fixes the following issues:
- USB-C or Thunderbolt external display does not turn on when connected to Mac mini (2018) as a second display
- Bluetooth devices, such as game controllers, may disconnect from your Mac after playing audio through some Beats headphones
The update also includes two security fixes, both of which have been actively exploited. Therefore, we recommend that users update as soon as possible.
Available for: macOS Monterey
Impact: An application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges
Description: An out-of-bounds write issue was addressed with improved bounds checking. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.
CVE-2022-22675: an anonymous researcher
Intel Graphics Driver
Available for: macOS Monterey
Impact: An application may be able to read kernel memory
Description: An out-of-bounds read issue may lead to the disclosure of kernel memory and was addressed with improved input validation. Apple is aware of a report that this issue may have been actively exploited.
CVE-2022-22674: an anonymous researcher
Check out our coverage of the new features in macOS 12.3:
- Universal Control is finally available in macOS 12.3 beta and iPadOS 15.4 beta
- macOS 12.3 beta comes new API for improved screen capture features for third-party apps
- Apple deprecated kernel extensions used by Dropbox and OneDrive in macOS 12.3 beta
- macOS 12.3 beta features framework for updating AirPods firmware
- Apple removes Python 2.7 from macOS 12.3 but does not provide a newer version
- macOS 12.3 beta 2 resolves Bluetooth battery drain and macOS Catalina FileVault issues
- macOS 12.3 beta 3 adds easier access to Universal Control settings
Check out our previous coverage of new features in macOS Monterey:
- New Safari design and tab groups
- Focus and notifications improvements
- Live Text
- FaceTime improvements and SharePlay
- Shared with You
- Low Power Mode
- iCloud Private Relay
- iCloud password manager in settings
- M1 app improvements
- Spatial audio support for AirPods Pro and AirPods Max (M1 Macs only)
- Universal Control
Is your Mac compatible with macOS Monterey 12.3.1?
macOS Monterey 12.3.1 is compatible with the following M1 and Intel Macs:
- MacBook Air (early 2015 and later)
- MacBook Pro (early 2015 and later)
- MacBook (early 2016 and later)
- iMac (later 2015 and later)
- iMac Pro (2017 and later)
- Mac mini (late 2014 and later)
- Mac Pro (late 2013 and later)
- Mac Studio
How to install macOS Monterey 12.3.1 on your Mac
Open System Preferences > Software Update on your Mac and wait for the new update to appear. Click on the download button to start the installation process. If you are on a MacBook, keep it connected to a charger during the update process.