Apple has released the second beta builds of iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2 to developers. The updates are available now for iPhone and iPad via over-the-air software updates, as well as from Apple Developer Center.
iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2
Apple released the first beta builds for iOS 16.2 and iPadOS 16.2 two weeks ago. The updates brought Freeform app for collaboration, external display support for Stage Manager, Emergency SOS via Satellite for iPhone 14, and more.
At the time of writing, we have not found any new noticeable changes in these updates. As per Apple’s release notes, the following known issues have been fixed:
- Fixed: When typing in Chinese Pinyin, selecting an option from the candidate bar is unresponsive.
- Fixed: Play tracking (Up Next, and Top Shelf Update) won’t work for all platforms.
There is a known issue with Stage Manager when used with an external display, on iPad:
- While using Stage Manager with an External Display, dragging a second window to the workspace incorrectly hides the Recent Apps list—shifting all windows in the workspace to the right.
Although not documented in the release notes, this update also fixes the issue with the camera not closing when accessed via the lock screen.
This beta also enables 5G connectivity for compatible iPhone models in India, as confirmed by users.
Check out our coverage of the new changes in this release:
- iOS 16.2 beta 2 shrinks Dynamic Island to display signal and WiFi bars when playing music
- iOS 16.2 beta 2 code features new ‘Custom Accessibility Mode’, feature not available to beta testers
If you already have iOS 16.2 or iPadOS 16.2 beta installed on your device, simply go to Settings > General > Software Update to download the new beta. If you don’t have your device enrolled in the beta program, you can register to Apple Developer Center for $99/year or sign up to Apple’s public beta software program which is free. Note that beta builds can have stability issues which can impact performance, battery, or data, so avoid installing it on your primary device.
Check out our previous coverage of new features in iOS 16.2 below:
- iOS 16.2 beta allows Live Activities to show more frequent updates
- Apple collects data on unintentional Emergency SOS calls on iOS 16.2 beta 1
- iOS 16.2 beta 1 brings new Sleep widgets to iPhone Lock Screen
- iOS 16.2 beta brings a new ‘vehicle’ icon for car Bluetooth stereo
- Apple TV app moves up “Featured” row above “Up Next” row on iOS 16.2 beta and other updates
- iOS 16.2 beta integrates Weather app with Apple News to show regional weather-related stories