iOS 15 completely reimagined the Apple Maps app with immersive and innovative features like interactive 3-D globe, look around, maps rich with roads, flyovers, bridges, and other details for motorists, cyclisters, pedestrians, and transit riders, curated guides and much more.
Now, the Apple Maps experience is further enhanced in the new iOS 16 update with features like multistop routing, Pay for Transit with iPhone, and big improvements in the MapKit for developers to incorporate a revolutionary city experience.
Here is everything new in Apple Maps on iOS 16
iOS 16 adds a new, much-requested, Multistop routing feature which allows users to plan up to 15 stops in advance on a route. Maps will store previous routes as recents, so users can easily get back and add them to plan a trip across devices.
Maps users can plan Multistops routes on their Macs and send them to their iPhones when hitting the road. The new feature also comes with Siri support, so users can command Siri to add more stops easily and safely while driving.
Transit is updated with the capability to see fares directly in the Maps app, and more importantly, add transit cards to Wallet so they can quickly pay their fare via the new “Pay for Transit with iPhone” feature. On iOS 16, Maps will also notify the transit users when the balance is low on their transit card to “Reload Clipper” without leaving the app.
For developers, iOS 16 brings big improvements to MapKit.
- Developers will be able to integrate the immersive city experience with rich details for landmarks, roads, bridges, and other infrastructures in their apps. For example, the bicycle rent app, Bird can display the locations of available bicycles and scooters in particular areas of the town or city.
- Look around features will also be available to developers to incorporate into their apps, especially helpful for real estate apps like Zillow for home buyers and rentals.
- Later this year, new server-side APIs will be available to developers to enhance and enrich users’ experience with their apps.
New Apple Maps is now available in more cities and countries
Last but not the least, the expansion of Apple Maps to new cities and countries was also announced at the WWDC 2022 Keynote. Here are all the new regions the immersive Maps experience is available:
- New Zealand
- Palestinain Territories
- Saudi Arabia
- Las Vegas
- Los Angeles
- Washington D.C.
- New York
- San Diego
- San Francisco
- Apple seeds iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 beta 1 to developers
- iOS 16 privacy features: Safety Check, lock hidden photo albums, and others
- iOS 16 updates CarPlay with multiple screens support within a vehicle
- Wallet in iOS 16: Share Keys, Ordering Tracking and Apple Pay Later