The newly released iOS 16 is compatible with iPhone 8 and later models. The latest update brings the whole new personalized Lock Screen, redesigned notifications, improved Mail, Safari, Wallet app and much more.
However, not all the features on the new iOS 16 will be available on all compatible iPhone models. Advanced features like door detection, Live Captions and others require faster processors and advanced camera lenses which the older models lack. We have listed all the features exclusively available on select iPhones.
All iOS 16 features exclusively available on select iPhones
- Multilayered photo effect on the Lock Screen is available on iPhone XS and later. It dynamically puts the photo subjects in front of the time to make them pop.
- Inserting emojis in texts with Siri and while dictating is available on iPhone with A12 Bionic and later.
- Support for discovering Siri capabilities in iOS and app by asking “Hey Siri, what can I do here?” is available on iPhone with A12 Bionic and later. Hey Siri, what can I do here?
- The hang-up call with Siri, completely hands-free feature, and Siri offline support are available on iPhone with A12 Bionic and later.
- Ability to switch between voice and touch while dictating on a device is available on iPhone XS, iPhone XR, and later.
- Using an iPhone camera to add medications to the health app is available on iPhone XS, iPhone XR, and later.
- New accessibility Detection mode in Magnifier to Locate a door, read signs or labels around it, and get instructions for how to open the door is available on iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro, iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th and 5th generation), and iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd and 3rd generation).
- Live captions in audio, video, and FaceTime video calls is available in English on iPhone 11 and later, iPad with A12 Bionic and later, and Mac with Apple silicon. Live Captions generate transcriptions automatically in real-time, especially for users who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Blur foreground in portrait photos and recording in Cinematic mode features to create the depth‑of‑field effect are available on iPhone 13 and later.
- iPhone with A12 Bionic and later support Live Text photo search and image search in more apps. Now, Spotlight uses information from images in Messages, Notes, and Files to enable searching by locations, people, scenes, or even things in the images, like text, a dog, or a car.
- The ability to lift a subject from an image or remove the background is available on iPhone with A12 Bionic and later.
- New domains for Visual Look Up with the capability to recognize birds, spiders, insects, and statues are available on iPhone with A12 Bionic and later.