Apple claims that the new iPhone 12 line-up is 4 times stronger than the previous iPhone 11 models. Allstate Protection Plans put the new iPhone to test to judge their drop durability from all sides. The tester states,
86% of smartphone owners use their phone as their primary photo and video device. And iPhone 12 Pro has new camera capabilities that make it “the photographer’s iPhone”. But is the Ceramic Shield screen really tougher than any smartphone glass as Apple claims?
Manufactured by Corning, the new ceramic shield front cover protects the screen and increases the drop performance of the new flagship smartphone series, making it four times more likely to sustain damages due to accidental slips or falls on the ground.
iPhone 12 and 12 Pro Durability Test
Face Down Drop Test
- iPhone 12 – small cracks, scuffed corners and edges, and sharp metal.
- iPhone 12 Pro – cracked, raised glass.
Back Down Drop Test
- iPhone 12 – scuffed corners and edges, sharp metal.
- iPhone 12 Pro – shattered, raised and loose glass, and cracked camera.
Side Down Drop Test
- iPhone 12 and 12 Pro – scuffed corners and edges, and sharp metal.
iPhone 12 and 12 Pro Durability Results
The drop test reveals that the iPhone 12 model is not only the most durable iPhone out of the two but the most durable smartphone ever tested by Allstate Protection Plans. The new flat edge design and advanced ceramic shield ensure durability.
“iPhone 12 is the most durable smartphone we’ve tested, its Ceramic shield screen is a leap forward for durability, though not indestructible, its flat side design may also improve drop durability.
However, iPhone 12 Pro shattered when dropped on its back, including cracks on the wide camera.
So at $279 for screen repairs and up to $549 for other repairs, iPhone 12 and 12 Pro owners should treat them with the same care they give expensive cameras.”
The Pro Camera Systems on the new flagship iPhone series offer wide and ultra-wide lens with Night mode and Dolby Vision support. The Pro models are equipped with a LiDAR scanner to measure depth for photography and AR experience. Apple has also announced to release the ProRaw feature later this year on the Pro models. All the camera enhancements make the new iPhone 12 the “Photographers iPhone”.
- iPhone 12 Pro’s LiDAR Scanner can measure a person’s height instantly
- iPhone 12 camera specifications – Pro Max takes the crown
- MagSafe accessories for iPhone announced: charger, cases, wallet, and MagSafe Duo