PwnageTool is a popular jailbreaking app for Mac. An updated release, version 4.0 was released yesterday which supports iOS 4. There was an issue with iBooks which has been fixed with an updated version, 4.0.1. PwnageTool 4.0.1 supports iPhone 3GS with old bootrom if you didn’t use Spirit to jailbreak it. It also works with iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G, but this guide will focus on the 3GS.
Make sure you have an iPhone 3GS with the old bootrom! And backup your data using iTunes.
- Download iOS 4 for iPhone 3GS
- Download iTunes 9.2
- Download PwnageTool 4.0.1
- Select Expert Mode and click on iPhone 3GS as shown in the picture above and click next.
- Browse to the iPhone 3GS iOS 4 firmware.
- Click build and let PwnageTool do its work. It’ll take a little time.
- There will be a file called iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293__Custom_Restore.ipsw on your desktop. This will be restored to your iPhone 3GS.
- Open up iTunes and connect your iPhone 3GS. Select your iPhone in the iTunes sidebar. While holding the Option button, click Restore. It’ll ask you to locate the firmware. Point it to the iPhone2,1_4.0_8A293__Custom_Restore.ipsw on your desktop.
- The restore will take some time, but after it’s done you’ll have a jailbroken iPhone 3GS!
- If you want to unlock your iPhone 3GS to use it with other carriers, go to Cydia and add the following repo http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com. Check here for how to do this. Search for ultrasn0w 0.9.3 and install it and reboot again. Your iPhone 3GS is now carrier unlocked.
- To fix and enable Push Notifications, check out our guide here.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments below. I’ll be glad to help you out!