By now you must have read our guide on how to jailbreak and unlock iPhone 3G. If you haven’t then you should. Not only does this let you install iOS 4 on your iPhone 3G, it lets you use it with any carrier as well as enable multitasking and backgrounds. One thing that still needs fixing after all this is the Push Notifications which don’t work on hacktivated/unlocked iPhones. Luckily, there’s a free fix for that called Push Doctor.
Follow these simple steps to enable Push Notifications on your unlocked iPhone:
- Make sure you’ve jailbroken and unlocked your iPhone 3G with iOS 4.
- This is best and easily done on a fresh install of the firmware. Open up Cydia, and add this address to the sources: http://cmdshft.ipwn.me/apt as shown below:
- Once Cydia is done updating, go to the search field and type in Push Doctor. Tap it, and then press install on the top right.
- This takes some time to download and install. Once this is done, restart your iPhone. This is done by holding the power button until the ‘slide to turn off’ message appears. Turn it off and then turn it on again.
- Now you need to add any app from the App Store that uses Push Notifications. Install free apps like Facebook, Meebo, Boxcar etc. When you run them, they’ll tell you that Push Notifications are disabled. Go to settings and enable them. Use the app and allow them to send you Push Notifications when they ask.
That’s it. You should now receive Push Notifications normally. You can test this by using Meebo, the instant messaging app. Send someone a message to send you one back and quickly exit the app. You should get the notification instantly.
If you have any questions, leave them in the comments below. I’ll be glad to help you out!