redsn0w has been upgraded to support iOS 4.0/4.1 jailbreak on iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G. We’ve prepared a simple guide on how you can jailbreak iPhone 3G using redsn0w 0.9.6b1. A word of caution, though, don’t upgrade to iOS 4.1 if you want to unlock your iPhone 3G for use with unofficial carriers because there’s no unlock available yet for iOS 4.1 Follow the guide if you don’t have to worry about unlocking:
- Download iOS 4.0 or 4.1 for iPhone 3G. Place it on your desktop for easy access. Only download the version you already have installed on your iPhone 3G!
- Download redsn0w 0.9.6b1. It’s available for Mac for now
- Download and install iTunes 10
- Connect your iPhone 3G to your computer and using iTunes, upgrade to iOS 4.0/4.1 This can be done using iTunes as described here.
- Now that you have upgraded to iOS 4.0/4.1 on your iPhone 3G, you’ll have to jailbreak it by using redsn0w 0.9.6b1. Run redsn0w and click browse and point it to the iOS 4.1/4.0 firmware you downloaded.
- Click Next. You’ll be given some options. Just select Install Cydia and battery percentage. Multitasking and home screen wallpaper can be enabled later through a Cydia app.
- Turn off your iPhone and connect it to the computer. iPhone will have to be put in DFU mode now. To do this, hold the power button for 3 seconds, and then hold the home button too without releasing the power button for 10 seconds. Then release the power button but keep holding the home button until redsn0w starts doing its thing.
- Once redsn0w is done and the iPhone reboots, you should have a jailbroken iPhone 3G.
- To unlock your iPhone 3G with iOS 4.0, follow this guide here.
- Follow our guide on how to enable Push Notifications on jailbroken and hacktivated iPhone.
- . If you want to enable/disable multitasking or background wallpapers on your iPhone 3G, use zToggle. We don’t recommend it though as it will suck the performance and battery out of your iPhone.
If you run into any issues or have any questions, put them in the comments below and we’ll be glad to help you out!
To use redsn0w to jailbreak other iOS Devices, check out the following guides:
- Jailbreak iPhone 3G with iOS 4.2 Beta using redsn0w 0.9.6b1 [Guide]
- Jailbreak iPod Touch 2G with iOS 4.1/4.0 using redsn0w 0.9.6b1 [Guide]
If you want to build a custom jailbroken firmware using sn0wbreeze 2.0 ( Windows only ) for iPhone or iPod Touch, follow these guides: