The iPhone Dev Team just upgraded redsn0w to version 0.9.6b1 to support jailbreaking iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G with iOS 4.1/4.0 [MC and non-MC models as well]. As promised, here’s our easy to use guide on how to jailbreak iPod Touch 2G with iOS 4.1.
- Download iOS 4.0 or 4.1 for iPod Touch 2G. Place it on your desktop for easy access.
- Download redsn0w 0.9.6b1. Available only for Mac currently.
- Download and install iTunes 10.
- Now connect your iPod Touch 2G to your computer and using iTunes, upgrade to iOS 4.0/4.1 This can be done using iTunes as described here.
- Now that you have upgraded to iOS 4.0/4.1, you’ll have to jailbreak it by using either iOS 4.0/4.1 (whichever you have installed on your iPod Touch 2G) with redsn0w 0.9.6b1. Run redsn0w and click browse and point it to the iOS 4.1/4.0 firmware you downloaded.
- Click Next. You’ll be given some options. Just select Install Cydia and battery percentage. Multitasking and home screen wallpaper can be enabled later through a Cydia app.
- Turn off your iPod Touch and connect it to the computer. We’ll have to put it in DFU mode now. To do this, hold the power button for 3 seconds, and then hold the home button too without releasing the power button for 10 seconds. Then release the power button but keep holding the home button until redsn0w starts doing its thing.
- Once redsn0w is done and the iPod Touch reboots, it will be jailbroken.
- If you want to enable/disable multitasking or background wallpapers, use zToggle. We don’t recommend it though as it will make your iPod sluggish.
Download redsn0w 0.9.6b1 for Mac
Download iTunes 10
Download iOS 4.1
Download iOS 4.0
If you run into any issues or have any questions, put them in the comments below and we’ll be glad to help you out!