sn0wbreeze 2.0 has just been released. It lets you create custom jailbroken iOS 4.1 firmware for iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS [old bootrom] and iPod Touch 2G (non-MC models). The firmware can then be restored to the iOS device via iTunes. sn0wbreeze 2.0 also lets supports iPhone activation, firmware customization ( such as Cydia packages and the likes ) and boot logo customization as well.
Before you start this process, make sure you’ve backed up all your data (apps, contacts, music, videos) using iTunes.
- Download iTunes 10
- Download iOS 4.1 for iPod Touch 2G. Place it on your desktop for quick access.
- Download sn0wbreeze 2.0.1 and run it.
- Click next and select expert mode if you want to enable backgrounds and multitasking on your iPod Touch 2G.
- Click browse and select the iOS 4 firmware that you had downloaded for your iPod Touch.
- If the firmware was the correct version, you’ll see confirmation along with an image of iPod Touch 2G. You’ll also see a notice where you’ll have to select the correct version of your iPod Touch. If it’s MB, the jailbreak will be untethered but if it’s MC, it’ll be untethered.
- On the next screen, you’ll be presented with lots of options. Just click on General.
- This is where you get to select whether you want to enable background wallpapers, battery percentage or native multitasking on your custom iOS 4.1 firmware for iPod Touch 2G. These features are disabled by default by Apple because they claim that the iPod Touch 2G hardware isn’t powerful enough. But in my experience, these features actually run well on the iPod Touch 2G, way better than the experience you get on iPhone 3G.
- Wait for sn0wbreeze to finish modifying your firmware. When it’s done you’ll be given a confirmation. It’ll append the name sn0wbreeze before the filename of the custom OS such as sn0wbreeze_iPod Touch 2G.
- Now we need to restore this custom firmware to iPod Touch. Connect your iPod Touch to your computer and launch iTunes. While holding down the shift button, click on restore.
- iTunes will ask for the firmware file. Just point it to the custom firmware you just build using sn0wbreeze 2.0 and sit back. iTunes will restore the OS to iPod Touch and when it finally restarts after the process is done, it’ll be jailbroken.Enjoy!If you have any questions, feel free to ask them in the comments. I’ll do my best to help you out!
Update: Download link has been updated to sn0wbreeze 2.0.1 which fixes the error some users are reporting during jailbreaking.
Also, check out:
- How to Jailbreak iPhone 3G/3GS with iOS 4.1 using sn0wbreeze 2.0 [Custom Firmware Method]
- Jailbreak iPod Touch 2G with iOS 4.1 using sn0wbreeze 2.0 [Custom Firmware Method]