redsn0w 0.9.6b1 was released today with support for jailbreaking iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G on iOS with 4.1/4.0. For the adventurous users, it also lets you jailbreak iOS 4.2 Beta although it’s not bug-free. Installing iOS 4.2 Beta requires a UDID so this guide should strictly be followed by developers or advanced users.
Follow the guide on your own risk:
- Download iOS 4.2 and 4.1 for iPod Touch 2G. Place it on your desktop for easy access.
- Download redsn0w 0.9.6b1. Available only for Mac currently.
- Download and install iTunes 10.
- Now connect iPod Touch to your computer and using iTunes, upgrade to iOS 4.2 Beta. This can be done using iTunes as described here.
- You’ll have to jailbreak it by using iOS 4.1. This means that even though you have iOS 4.2 installed on your iPod Touch 2G, you must point redsn0w to iOS 4.1 firmware.
- Click Next. You’ll be given some options. Just select Install Cydia and battery percentage. Multitasking and home screen wallpaper can be enabled later through a Cydia app.
- Turn off iPod Touch and connect it to the computer. We’ll have to put it in DFU mode now. To do this, hold the power button for 3 seconds, and then hold the home button too without releasing the power button for 10 seconds. Then release the power button but keep holding the home button until redsn0w starts doing its thing.
- Once redsn0w is done your iPod reboots, it will be jailbroken.