Netflix has finally launched its new “Basic With Ads” cheaper plan for $6.99 per month. However, the new tier is not available on Apple TV set-top box models, currently.
In the past few months, Netflix lost millions of subscribers and saw a drop in its market share while its competitors like Disney+, Hulu, and Apple TV+ saw growth. Therefore, it was reported that the video streamer was going to launch an ad-supported tier on the service to attract more subscribers.
Netflix had planned to introduce the new plan in early January 2023 but that changed because Disney+ was going to launch its ad-supported tier for $7.99 per month in December of this year.
As the new plan is available on iOS, consoles, smart TVs, and third-party set-top devices, it is likely that Netflix released it sooner than its scheduled time to stay ahead of the competition and did not have time to optimize it for Apple TV devices. The company told Variety that “Basic with ads plan support on tvOS is not available at launch but coming soon.”
Everything you need to know about Netflix’s new “Basic With Ads” cheaper plan
Sooner or later, the service is expected to be available on Apple TV devices, so here is everything you need to know about it:
- The subscription costs $6.99 per month.
- Video streaming quality is capped at 720p.
- Limited content library.
- 4 to 5 minutes of ads per every hour of content.
- Offline download is not supported.
- Compatible across Apple and Android devices: mobile, tablets, computers, and web.
- Available in 12 countries: the United States, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Spain, the United Kingdom, and Australia.
The new plan is available on Apple TV for existing subscribers of Basic, Standard, or Premium plans.
- Apple TV+ to premiere Jennifer Lawrence’s new movie “Causeway” [U: streaming now]
- Apple TV+ to premiere “Sharper” in February 2023 starring Julianne Moore
- Apple TV 4K to gain “Quick Media Switching Variable Refresh Rate” support in future update
- Apple starts offering 2-month Apple TV+ trial to promote ‘Selena Gomez: My Mind & Me,’ doc