iOS 15 brought several new innovative and immersive features to Apple Maps. Now, Apple has announced the expansion of new Apple Maps to Australia so users in the region can experience faster and accurate navigation, 3-D landmarks, comprehensive views of roads, parks, buildings, and more.
New Apple Maps offer augmented reality directions in Syndey, 3-D look around of Bondi Beach, and more in Australia
On iOS 15, users in Australia will enjoy the following new Apple Maps features:
- New navigation experience
- Siri provides more precise navigation guidance in natural language such as “at the next traffic light, turn left.”
- Lane guidance
- Notification when approaching speed cameras along a route and the speed and red-light cameras can also be located on the map.
- Shared estimated time of arrival.
- Report an accident, hazard, or speed check along a route.
- Find nearby bus and train stations and pin favorite lines.
- Explore with Look Around
- Apple Maps offers interactive street-level imagery with high-resolution, 3D photography and smooth and seamless transitions across Australia which can be viewed from anywhere in the world.
- Immersive walking directions
- Soon, Apple Maps will offer step-by-step walking guidance in augmented reality of Syndey and Melbourne.
- Curated guides
- Guides make it easy to find popular attractions, restaurants, shopping centers, and more in Australia. “Culture Trip, Louis Vuitton City Guides, Prior, Thrillist Australia, and Time Out have created Guides for Sydney and Melbourne, with more to come from Broadsheet, Concrete Playground, and Qantas Travel Insider.”
- A photo-realistic, 3-D view of the select major metro areas.
- Indoor Maps
- Users can explore airports and shopping centers by seeing the level they are on, which stores are open, and more directly from the Maps app.
- Flight status
- Access saved information of a flight in Mail, Calendar, or Wallet app via Siri.
- One-tap navigation to frequently visited places.
Eddy Cue, Apple’s senior vice president of Services said:
“Apple Maps is the best way to explore and navigate the world, all while protecting your privacy. We are excited to bring this experience to even more users with today’s rollout in Australia. The map has been rebuilt from the ground up, with better navigation, richer detail, more accurate information for places, and remarkable features that only Apple can deliver, like Look Around, Share ETA, and more. Now it is easier than ever for users to find the places they love and get to where they’re going.”