TouchSwitcher app has been updated to version 1.4. The latest version of the app is now compatible with macOS Big Sur and M1 Apple Silicon. The app is designed for MacBook Pro with Touch Bar which allows users to quickly and easily access all the app running on the system, at that time. The app’s description reads;
Use this Touch Bar app to launch and switch between apps on the new MacBook Pro. The most recent apps are right next to the TouchSwitcher icon. Juggling several apps is fast and easy. Forget the Dock and tap on app icons directly.
Since the launch of M1 Macs, developers are gradually releasing updates of their apps optimized for first-generation Apple Silicon. The M1 chip has completely changed the Mac experience with 2x faster performance and incredible battery life. With the new Apple Silicon and macOS Big Sur, Apple has created a unified architecture across all of its devices which allows iOS apps to run natively on M1 Apple Silicon Macs: 13-inch MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro and M1 Mac mini.
TouchSwitcher is now compatible with macOS Big Sur and M1 Apple Silicon
Running in the MacBook Pro, the TouchSwitcher app takes advantage of the Touch Bar and works like a visual command-tab that displays all running apps in the Touch Bar and opens the desired app simply by tapping on its icon in the bar.
Developer HazeOver listed down the easy to use the functionality of the app:
- Tap the TouchSwitcher icon in the system Control Strip to show the app list.
You can also use a customizable Option + 9 keyboard shortcut.
- Favorite apps are shown to the left of running apps.
There’s an option to hide favorite apps and reveal them by swiping left instead.
- Press and Hold or Control-Tap an app icon to show additional commands:
Hide, Quit, and ☆ (to mark an app as a favorite).
- Shift-Tap app icons to quickly hide multiple apps, Option-Tap to quit them.
- Press and Hold or Control-Tap TouchSwitcher icon to show Settings. There’s a Gear icon in the app list that shows Settings too.
- Shift-Tap to temporarily hide the icon, Option-Tap to quit TouchSwitcher.
- Click “Touch Bar Settings…” in Settings to override what Touch Bar shows for certain apps: Expanded Control Strip, “F1, F2, etc.” Keys, App Controls, Spaces, or Quick Actions. Only one custom control can be shown in the Control Strip. Use the keyboard shortcut to bring back the TouchSwitcher icon if other apps (like Safari, iTunes, or Xcode) displace it.
The Cupertino tech giant launched the M1 Apple Silicon Macs with all native and few third-party apps optimized for the new processor. And in the interim, when other developers are transitioning their apps for M1 Apple Silicon, the company has also introduced Rosetta 2 to allow Intel-based apps to run on M1 Macs.
TouchSwitch can be downloaded from HazeOver.com for free and happy users can give up to $10 in gratuity.
- “Is Apple silicon ready?”- Database lists all apps compatible with M1 Macs
- Check M1 Mac compatible apps via DigiDNA’s free app
- M1 Apple Silicon chip for Mac announced: powerful CPU, GPU and Neural Engine in one chip